ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DVD Logo Style Bouncing Layer Expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Bellsmith
DVD Logo Style Bouncing Layer Expression
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:31:45 am

I'm looking for an expression to do a super basic "dvd logo" style animation, where a layer floats around the screen forever, bouncing off the edge of the comp at a complimentary angle. This type of thing -

I'm sure this is super easy for those in the know, but I couldn't find one floating around online.

Can any one give me a hand? Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: DVD Logo Style Bouncing Layer Expression
on Jul 2, 2010 at 10:06:00 pm

you could try particle playground...

you can define the logo layer in the layer map property, then keyframe the cannon emitter to produce a single particle and set gravity zero.

if you add a rectangular mask to the solid that the effect is applied to, you can set that to be the boundary for the logo, and it should now bounce off of it.

the tricky part will be preventing the logo from turning as it bounces. you could try adding a white solid, then setting that as the layer map for the persistent property. then set one of the channels (red,for example) to be used to control angle, with min and max settings of zero. the idea being that a non changing solid color should hopefully prevent the angle from changing....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mark Bellsmith
on Jul 3, 2010 at 4:16:14 am

Wow - that worked 100%, right through the persistent property mapping! Thanks for the clear solution !!!!

Return to posts index

Jesse Stormer
on Jun 21, 2016 at 4:36:37 am

For anyone else who finds this -- make sure your solid layer for 'persistent property' is LARGER than your comp. Those particles touch the edge and detect that there is no reference for rotation, they begin to rotate, but then snap back as they return to the center. Same with particles being emmitted from off-comp, they will enter comp with rotation.

Return to posts index

Joseph Pandolfi
on Jun 29, 2018 at 2:40:56 am

Could anyone help me out? I've followed everything that you've said except when I set the Wall option to the mask on the solid that I have particle playground on the logo fails to move. Whenever I turn off the boundary though the logo continues to move off of the page. Not sure where I am going wrong here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]