ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I create a semi-realistic fake video projector 'SHINE' from a projector graphic to my video angled like a movie screen?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tommmm
How can I create a semi-realistic fake video projector 'SHINE' from a projector graphic to my video angled like a movie screen?
on Sep 22, 2005 at 9:23:16 am

For my intro animation I have my video setup in a movie theater type screen frame at an angle. It's a small video area within the actual DVD intro. I would like to add a 3d projector graphic (which I have) and add a fake shine that comes from the projector across the screen and attachs at the four corners of my small video screen as if the projector is actually shining the image onto the small screen. My question, is how I can create this light shine? It would need to quickly change the level of light and perhaps tint, as if it was constantly shining a new image. So the light would change with the movie, like a real projector does. Now the light changes wouldn't obvously have to match up perfectly with the video to get the effect across. Does anyone know how I can create this shine with some opacity so it doesn't cover up the background completely? I imagine a 10 second loop of light changes in the shine would be plenty for the effect.

Thanks
Tom

Return to posts index

Andrew Yoole
Re: How can I create a semi-realistic fake video projector 'SHINE' from a projector graphic to my video angled like a movie screen?
on Sep 22, 2005 at 2:36:34 pm

If the shot is static, I'd just save out a frame, draw the projector light on an independent layer in Photoshop using gradients and/or soft brushes, then place the layer back into position in AE. Use Add or Screen transfer mode. Use a Wiggle expression on opacity and a colour-change effect to create variations.

If your more adventurous you could do the whole thing in AE using masked solids with gradients applied.

Return to posts index

Dex Craig
Re: How can I create a semi-realistic fake video projector 'SHINE' from a projector graphic to my video angled like a movie screen?
on Sep 22, 2005 at 3:56:01 pm

Hey, Tommmmmmmm --

So, I don't have shine, but I was able to do something like you're describing using CC Radial Fast Blur. Here's what I did:

1. Put image for screen in a comp. Apply Basic 3D, tilt, distance from image to get the "screen" where you'd like it to be.

2. Duplicate this layer. Move the screen element to the right of the frame and increase the distance to image (or scale it down) to get a smaller "source" for the projection rays.

3. Add an adjustment layer with no effects on it.

4. Precomp (CTL+SHIFT+C on the PC -- not sure on a Mac) the adjustment layer and the screen "source" layer.

5. Add CC Radial Fast Blur to the precomp. Set the "Zoom" perameter to brightest and the amount to 100 (or very nearly so). Place the center of the radial blur effect quite a bit off-screen and you'll have streaming rays of light coming from the "source" point. Adjust placement of the center until it lines up like you'd like.

6. Put your projector element over the "source" layer, hiding the squared off repeat of the image on the screen.

That's it.

Hope that's helpful.

- Dex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]