ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Onionskin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Shohet
Onionskin
on Dec 20, 2008 at 6:14:44 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of creating short videos in AE from still photos sequences. Most of these sequences are shot handheld, no tripod. When the sequence is stationary, I can easily stabilize it with the motion tracker stabilizer. However, some of these sequences involve lots of camera motion, and I "stabilize" them manually, frame by frame, by changing the position/rotation/scale of each frame, until the overall camera motion in the sequence appears smooth. Don't worry, I haven't lost my mind, I'm an animator - I like working frame by frame ;-)

I used to do this in Combustion, which has a very usefull onionskin option, so that you can overlay the next/previous frame/s on top of the current frame, as reference. This really speeds things up, eliminating a lot of the guesswork as to how to allign each individual frame.

I cannot for the life of me find such an option in AE, and wondered if anyone can maybe suggest a way to achieve this with an expression.

many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Elad Menashe
Re: Onionskin
on Dec 21, 2008 at 7:10:24 am

For onion backwards skinning:
1) Duplicate the layer and apply Time Remapping.
2) Create an expression for the time remapping:

numOfFrames = 1;
d = numOfFrames*thisComp.frameDuration;
thisComp.layer().timeRemap.valueAtTime(time - d)

(expression may vary, I'm not in front my AE)

3) change the layer opacity.

There are easier ways:
* Duplicate the layer and shift it in time one or more keyframes and change its opacity.
* Use the Echo (or Echo Time) effect

Return to posts index

zeina elayyan
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:13:01 pm

Hey
did you ever figure out if there is onion skinning on AE?? Im looking for it for the same reason as you,
help
:/

Zina

Return to posts index

Thomas Morison
on Dec 25, 2012 at 2:43:29 pm

Onion skinning can be simulated by using the clone tool (as a source for the previous frame).

Return to posts index

David Hallows
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:50:34 pm

Hi Thomas

Could you please tell me how to do this with the clone tool? I'm trying to teach lots of different types of animation from within AE, it would be super helpful.

Many thanks
David

Return to posts index

Loay El-Aswad
on Apr 27, 2016 at 2:32:22 pm

You can use this script:
http://aescripts.com/paint-and-stick/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]