FORUMS: list search recent posts

DPS 475/575 Framesync Question (UPGRADE VS. OPTIONS)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Jan Janowski
DPS 475/575 Framesync Question (UPGRADE VS. OPTIONS)
on Jan 12, 2019 at 12:43:16 pm
Last Edited By Jan Janowski on Jan 12, 2019 at 12:47:04 pm

I've 2 DPS Framesyncs: a 475 and 575....
475 is Presently used in a VHS Restoration system, using SVideo or Composite intputs... 575's power supply presently being repaired...

The 475 has Version 1.5 Firmware and Boot G with both the Audio Hardware (XCV300) and DNR Paid Option...

There is a known issue where the Composite and SVideo inputs are slightly degraded in this Firmware Version, that is fixed in G2.16 update... From the Update Notes (That I realize say 2.14, but it's from the 2.16 Upgrade Notes!:

Version G2.14 and H2.14 DPS-475/575 firmware package
• Fixed problem where S-Video input would clip to quickly and causes data overflow and bad video output.
• Added +6 dBu to the Audio Op Out Level Parameters.
• Increased noise handling for composite video input.
• Corrected the problem (No.177) which caused 100 lines of displacement in PAL..

Obviously this would be a good thing for any VHS Restoration!!!

My Question..... Does anyone know for certain if the OPTIONS remain AFTER a Firmware Update????

(In My Case: Audio H/W=300 Series, and more importantly, Digital Noise Reduction OPTION -- Which I do not have the unlock codes for, if they get erased!)

I know this is an old unit, but for VHS Restoration good captuer's are necessary!!!

Thank You for your Posts!!!

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
Re: DPS 475/575 Framesync Question (UPGRADE VS. OPTIONS)
on Jan 13, 2019 at 1:32:11 am

Hi Jan,

I also have a DPS 475 frame sync/TBC that I use to digitize VHS.
I turned it on today and I get this message in the display:

DPS Boot EPROM rev.G
No loadable firmware.

I bought the 475 used, so I do not have a copy of the firmware to re-flash the firmware.
May I ask where you found the firmware, since Leitch was purchased by Harris and they don't seem to be supporting the 475?
I might be able to answer your questions about options since I will be probably upload the firmware more than once to see if there is an issue with the EPROM.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 13, 2019 at 12:54:08 pm

I was told that the email for the company that last had information on 475/575 is:
insidesales@imaginecommunications.com I am awaiting information from them on a request I sent earlier last week .

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 14, 2019 at 1:53:39 pm

If you want to discuss this more, contact me offline

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 14, 2019 at 3:33:13 pm

Oh by the way, an "Engineer" replied from that email..... (Forwarded to him by sales) and his answer was short and sweet:
"Hi Jan, the DPS product is end of life (EOL) for a while. There is no support for this product.
Thank you,
Haydee"

Post your email address or contact me offline

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 14, 2019 at 5:27:00 pm

V2.16 can be installed without losing Options

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 14, 2019 at 9:40:54 pm

Thanks for all the information!

I'm glad to hear that your question about upgrading has been answered.

I did find the v2.15 and v2.16 firmware, plus the Windows uploader program. I tried to upload the firmware to the DPS but the computer could not connect to the DPS. That was disappointing but not surprising since the DPS could not load the firmware from the EPROM. That means the DPS had no operating system running in RAM that could respond to the uploader program.

I suspect that either the EPROM has failed or the circuitry that reads the EPROM has failed. I read on another forum that there is no one left that services these frame syncs. Even if I manage to replace the EPROM, I have no reasonable way to load the firmware onto the new EPROM, so the DPS is effectively dead.

I see other used DPS 475 units for sale on eBay but I am hesitant to spend more money on another unit that may also suddenly fail. I'm instead thinking about renting an AJA FS1 since the company is alive and well and the FS1 is still a current, supported model. I've been impressed by all the AJA products I've used so I may eventually take the plunge and outright buy an FS1.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 14, 2019 at 9:51:25 pm

did you try the trick indicated in the "Release Note" document.... Hitting the Enter Key during bootup, to put boot cycle, that puts unit into low level download mode.... ??
I don't know if this will help, but at this point, what do you have to lose?

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 15, 2019 at 7:40:07 am

Thanks for the tip! I tried it several times and still got the "No loadable firmware." message on the front panel display. Then I tried the other Power-Up Keys as described in the Service Manual. The BYPASS button did trigger the self-test but the MEMORY and KEYER buttons did not trigger their power-up functions. On the fourth or fifth cycle of trying all the power-up buttons, the ENTER button did trigger the "Download firmware." message. I ran the firmware uploader on the PC but it still could not connect to the DPS.

This time I remembered to check if the serial cable needed a null modem, so I dug out the RS-232 tester and sure enough, the RX line was active instead of the TX line. I plugged in a null modem adapter and the uploader program was able to connect. But the upload failed and the DPS front panel display showed 0% loaded because there was not enough space in memory for any uploads.

Since holding the KEYER or MEMORY buttons at power-up did not trigger the delete firmware or wipe memory functions, I don't see a way to make room in the EPROM for an upload. So it still looks like there is a problem with correctly accessing the EPROM.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 15, 2019 at 12:43:10 pm

Use a 9 pin straight through cable....
Also, I had to go into device manager/ports/advanced and reduce the buffer speeds to nearly minimum at 9600 baud to stop it from failing on serial upoad...

Though it does seem that your Eprom is DOA... Hey! We Tried!

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 15, 2019 at 8:44:27 pm

I was using an old serial cable that had DB9 connectors on both ends, so it probably was a null modem cable used to transfer data between computers before Ethernet networks became the norm. Adding the null modem adapter unswapped the TX and RX lines.

The upside to the DPS failing is that it caused me to do a more detailed search for frame synchs for use in a VHS digitization workflow. I found the Ensemble Designs BrightEye series. The BrightEye 3's description explicitly mentions its use with VHS decks and the BrightEye 75 has embedded audio, which would make it a drop-in replacement for my DPS. I asked the manufacturer if the BrightEye 75 is compatible with VHS decks and they said yes, it would be better than the BrightEye 3.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 16, 2019 at 11:01:53 am

Sorry to hear that didn't help....

Comparing V1.5 to the V2.16 I recently installed..... I am noticing a great improvement in the SVideo input: Far less random clipping.... More Faithful reproduction of the video....

Both my Audio and Digital Noise Reduction Options remained after the update...

On composite input blacks seem a bit cleaner too....

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 16, 2019 at 1:31:21 pm

If you get a chance....Contact me offline.... I have an idea...

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 16, 2019 at 8:10:12 pm

Mmm... I don't see any contact info in your Creative COW profile. If I login by using my LinkedIn account, will that allow you to contact me offline?

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 16, 2019 at 8:45:41 pm

Don’t use that.
Do you use DSLReports.com??

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 16, 2019 at 9:31:27 pm

I know about the DSLReports site and its forums but I'm not a member.
I'm on Reddit, Slack and Discord but I don't know how popular those services are in the digital video and video production communities.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 16, 2019 at 9:34:13 pm

We need to talk or email.
I’ve been told there is a recovery method for corrupted EPROMs
I’m not the knowledgeable one. I’m trying to get you the info.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 16, 2019 at 9:42:41 pm

Ah screw it. !!

Here is email I received:
Usually boot roms had a special access, a failsafe recovery.

On a unit as old as the 475, it probably involves setting dip switches and using tftp at a specific baud, bits, parity, stop setting.

I’d have him give a call to the Imagine support number 888-534-8246 and see if they can scare up someone who remembers the 475 recovery procedure.

It might be in the manual as well.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 16, 2019 at 9:52:22 pm

PS. Use a straight through cable

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 16, 2019 at 10:35:37 pm

OK. I'll see if I still have RS-232 straight through cables somewhere, but I'll probably have to order one. It'll be cheaper than buying the raw cable & connectors and wiring one myself.

There's nothing in the Service Manual about failsafe recovery. I opened the DPS 475 when it failed but I don't remember seeing any DIP switches, unless they are under the Audio Synchronizer Module's circuit board. I also tried to read the schematics in the PDF version of the Service Manual, but the schematics are too blurry. I can't make out any of the smaller lettering.

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 16, 2019 at 11:50:50 pm

Looking through the parts list in the Service Manual, I found the One Time Programmable EPROM (QU17) that probably holds the DPS's operating system, and 2 Flash memory chips (RU1 & RU2) that probably holds the replaceable firmware. The EPROM is socketed but the Flash chips are surface mounted with 48 tiny leads. The EPROM can be replaced but it has to be first programmed with the DPS operating system. The Flash chips look like they need SMT experience to replace. The cheapest and easiest option is to spend $100-$150 on another used DPS 475 and hope it keeps working.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Jan 17, 2019 at 12:38:36 pm

If you ever figure out how to contact me offline, I may have some information for you

Return to posts index

Irving Moy
on Jan 17, 2019 at 6:38:38 pm

It's great to hear that the v2.16 firmware fixes all those issues.
Thanks for all the help with the DPS, I really do appreciate it.
I just joined DSLReports. How do I find you or do I post my DLSReports login name?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]