FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:20:27 pm

I am a tv program producer. Recently I've produced a few formats for a thematic channel in Poland. The technical requirements of my station was 1080/50i. They do not take any programs that are filmed in progressive.

Now I am producing 12 episodes (whole season) I intend to sell to different tv channels, not only in Europe, also in Asia. Do I have to shoot interlace or I can shoot progressive? In broadcast, interlace is a standard in Europe now, isn't it? Will I have any problems selling the program if it's shot in progressive?

thanks for any answer

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?
on Aug 4, 2012 at 8:59:41 am

I'm in the UK and although there are some differences between stations (so you must check with the broadcaster you're supplying to), the general rule-of-thumb is that broadcast specs are interlaced, PSF is fine for material that's originated in progressive, but they don't normally accept material that is shot interlaced and processed to make it progressive.

TBH, if you have problems with camera movement you ought to check where the issue lies, it might not be because of the difference between interlaced and progressive, it could be a camera setup thing like shutter speed or rolling shutter.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
Re: Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?
on Aug 5, 2012 at 5:47:24 pm

Yeah, I've checked requirements of BBC channel at their website. In 2008 they accepted progressive, but now it's only interlaced and BBC is a standard I guess.

Maciej

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]