Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

• Posted by Chris Fera on February 18, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I am editing this film which was shot 2:35 and looking at the final editing I am thinking that 2:1 may actually be a better ratio for most of the shots. The producer agrees but I don’t know how to change to that ration in final cut. Does anyone know how to apply a 2:1 ratio mask? Is there a plug in? Thank you for your help guys.

Jeff Greenberg replied 13 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jeff Greenberg

February 23, 2011 at 3:26 am

Chris,

There are two different (easily confusable) things here.

The size of the raw information (could be SD, could be HD) with a matte on it to give the appearance of a ratio.
    An actual video with no ‘black bars’ with the specific ratio you want.

The Widescreen matte filter will do this – in fact, you create a sequence, put your ‘working’ sequence in it, then apply the widescreen matte filter to the entire ‘nested’ sequence. Last you OPTION 2x click it to adjust the filter.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
    Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
    Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
    Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

• Chris Fera

February 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hi Jeff, this film was shot HD 1920×1080 with the 5D Mark II so the vista vision sensor gives us a full frame to work with. We used 2:35 reference bars on the monitor but now looking at the film we would like to try the 2:1 and see how it looks. I am not sure what you mean by OPTION 2x click. Is that a way to adjust the widescreen filter? I only see 1:66, 1:85, 2:35 and 2:45. I don’t see 2:1… thanks!

• Jeff Greenberg

February 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Chris, there may not be a 2:1 setting on the widescreen matte filter. It’s just a crop. When you nest a sequence in a sequence, and you put a filter on the child (the sequence on the timeline), 2x clicking will open the sequence in it’s own window. Option 2x clicking will open it in the viewer.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
    Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
    Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
    Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy