FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor 4.0

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Bruder
Apple Compressor 4.0
on Jan 2, 2017 at 4:03:55 pm

Members:

HELP! I've run into a problem with Compressor 4.0 in the encoding phase. I've looked thru the posts and tried whatever suggestions were there but no luck.

I've tried several different projects by loading a QT movie -1920X1080 30fps ( one hour duration) and tried either making a DVD or a Blu-ray. With the DVD I let it run for 4 hours and with the Blu-ray I gave up after 9 hours. The progress meter went to about 1/2 scale in 2 hours and essentially has not moved past that point in both cases, however the timer is running so its doing something.

I have Toast 14 and the same file encodes to Blu-ray using same data avg and max rates and even encoding twice for best motion. So we know its not the file. DVD takes about an hour and Blu-ray is under 2 hours. I know toast is using MPEG-4 while Apple products use H.264 which I prefer and looks better.

Anyone have any thoughts here as to what's wrong. This is very frustrating.
I'm using a late 2013 Mac with 3.33GHz processor and 8-cores, 32Gb ram, and 30 Tb array for storage

Fred B

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Apple Compressor 4.0
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:17:12 am

The current version of Compressor is 4.3. Perhaps you should update. Updates include bug fixes.

Return to posts index

philippe muller
on Jul 1, 2017 at 11:41:16 am

Hi,
I am exporting a 45 minutes footage (1080x1920 25p) from FCP to DVD through Compressor.
The settings were defined by compressor. I have just changed them for "2 passes (optimal) " because I need a top quality.

The progress meter comes to about 1/3 scale of the FIRST PASS after 6 HOURS and 36 minutes of work !! (the timer and and the raid array lights are still "alive"...)

Where is the error ?

Compressor 4.3.2
FCP 10.3.4
Mac OS 10.12.5
Mac Pro Late 2013 2.7 GHz 12 cores RAM 32 Go SSD
Raid Promise Pegasus 2R6

Thank you for your opinion.
Philippe

Return to posts index

philippe muller
on Jul 1, 2017 at 2:00:15 pm

I've launched that treatment again after having exported the footage onto a master file (prores 4.2.2).
Now the 2 passes of compression take only 11 minutes.
Then the compression with Compressor by exporting directly from FCP was literally stuck. Beyond the rushes there are 4K and HD stuff that is edited together on a 1080x1920 time line (multicam clips). Is it the reason ?
Philippe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]