FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best video settings for instagram?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Helander
Best video settings for instagram?
on Nov 16, 2016 at 7:03:39 pm
Last Edited By Philip Helander on Nov 16, 2016 at 7:06:56 pm

Hello, whats the best instagram video settings? Everything gets blurry after instagram compress my video. I've exported it from premiere pro as 1920 x 1080 and 640 x 480 (with H264 codec) and it does not work. I googled and the file is not suppose to be more than 15 mb, so I've tried diffrent versions under and over 15 mb but it doesn't seem to do any diffrence.

The video is only 11 seconds long and I export it from premiere and dropbox it over to my phone.

Instagram doesn't have any specifications on their website and doesn't seem to give a crap about this problem at all.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best video settings for instagram?
on Dec 8, 2016 at 6:54:29 pm

I suspect instagram assumes users have no control what their mobile devices will deliver and they just re-encode to whatever they need on their end.

I don't doubt, just like YouTube, the better you send, the better the delivery within reason (and what that is, is subject to debate). YouTube has recommended H.264 specs for example but that doesn't stop people from uploading ProRes which they swear they can see a difference in the final YouTube encode.

Perhaps if you examine an Instagram video externally you can see how they're encoding. You can examine a good mobile video (from a current iPhone or high end Android) and see what those specs look like. That's not to say doing better than that might give you even better quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]