FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two minute video at 20MB!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Bucco
Two minute video at 20MB!
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:36:46 am

Hello All,
I have a client that has requested an MP4 of a two minute video to be delivered at 20MB so that it can be streamed from their app quickly. They have not specified frame size but the bigger the better obviously as many will view it on their desktops.

I've never had to crush something this small and I'm wondering where to start - bit rate, aspect size (frame size really), etc. I work in Final Cut Pro X but I was going to use Handbrake to compress the HD master. Can someone give me a best practices workflow of which options to push for best and biggest result? Not sure if I should also mess with framerate, constant quality, etc. What is an acceptable low bitrate and frame size, etc. and what's the best approach? Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a photo of Handbrake controls available:
10794_screenshot20161114at11.30.23pm.png.zip

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Two minute video at 20MB!
on Nov 15, 2016 at 5:23:16 pm

File Size = Duration x BitRate
There's no secret behind that.

Quality is a different matter. The larger the frame size the less bits per pixel which is lower quality.
Acceptable quality is subjective so, assuming 16:9 aspect ratio, you may want to look at 1920x1080, 1280x720, 960x540, etc.
High Profile and CABAC entropy yield better quality but may need more system resources to play. Most modern mobile devices can handle that. Older ones would struggle.

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
Re: Two minute video at 20MB!
on Nov 15, 2016 at 8:33:26 pm

Okay, thanks for framing it this way. I thought there were more variables for file size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]