FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggested Workflow when Filming 4K and Delivering as YouTube(4K)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Suggested Workflow when Filming 4K and Delivering as YouTube(4K)
on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:16:30 pm

I've recently upgraded to filming with the Canon C300mkii and I'm using the Odyssey 7Q+ with the Apollo Option. I'm editing using Adobe Premiere Pro and use Speed Grade for color grading.

My Goal is to export videos for YouTube with the 4K quality option. My second goal is to conserve hard drive space.

Frequently I'm capturing 5-20 minute interviews, and then loads of BROLL to cover 75% of the interview. I would like to continue shooting at the highest resolution and color sampling possible to allow for better color grading as well as detail, but know that it's simply unreasonable to keep each interview and possibly some of the BROLL at such a high bitrate.

Possible scenario: Would it make sense to capture the interview at max resolution and color sampling, put it onto a timeline, color grade it, and then export it to a compressed 4K file and delete the original .MXF file? If yes, then should I also do this for the BROLL? I could see that becoming quite time intensive to then identify separate BROLL shots that would now be as a single file. Though maybe having a string of BROLL on one single video clip named appropriately would be helpful. - thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ian Smith

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Suggested Workflow when Filming 4K and Delivering as YouTube(4K)
on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:52:22 pm

There should be a law that requires people to preserve camera masters. Just my strongly felt opinion. Hard drive space is cheap. Lost quality when masters are gone is priceless damage.

YouTube has recommended compression specs including 4K

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Oct 18, 2016 at 12:28:56 pm

I enjoy strong opinions. Would you provide more insight backing up your thought?

Thanks,

Ian

Ian Smith

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2016 at 3:30:53 pm

Quality lost is NEVER regained. If you're a professional you keep masters at original quality for future work. Hard drives are very cheap. Of course if you're not a professional and saving space is more important than future use...

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Oct 18, 2016 at 3:47:57 pm

I appreciate your feedback, though I have several disagreements with your boldly stated opinion. MANY professionals are also under tight budgets and do not have an endless budget for HD's.

Because I'm not here for an argument/debate, I'll refer to the original question and ask if anyone else would like to provide input from their professional experiences and workflow.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ian

Ian Smith

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 20, 2016 at 12:03:00 am

Craig is right.

If you can afford a C300 you can afford a hard drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]