FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Alpha .mov to H264 mp4?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac van Zyl
Converting Alpha .mov to H264 mp4?
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:30:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm having to send a few Intro to a client of mine but my problem is the size. Each of the 9 Intros are 1.7 GiB Big. (First Picture)

But I would Like to export it to a Mp4/H264 or any other small file but I need to keep the files alphal?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Converting Alpha .mov to H264 mp4?
on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:46:17 pm

I don't know of any heavily compressed format than maintains the alpha at a "small" file size.
List of Video Formats with Alpha

VP6 (FLV) supports Alpha but you're not going to want to do post production work with it. Since web browsers have moved to direct HTML player support it's not used much on the web theses days.
I'm not sure how big video PNG with alpha would be.

I'm not sure why you'd want to try anything not widely supported. Even a free DropBox or iCloud account can support up to 5GB. You can send the files one or two at a time.

Personally I'd use ProRes 4444

Return to posts index

Isaac van Zyl
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:26:10 am

Hey Craig Seeman,

Unfortunately I live in South Africa :/ Where our internet speeds aren't the best (1Mb up, 2mb down) so uploading 5Gib of data would take ridiculously long. I'll Give ProRes 4444 a try ?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:47:46 pm

Depending on the need you could mail the files on Hard Drive, SSD drive (more expensive but more durable for mail) or SD cards (small enough to fit in a standard envelope).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]