FORUMS: list search recent posts

File showing wrong aspect ratio

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Payne
File showing wrong aspect ratio
on Aug 16, 2016 at 7:44:18 pm

I'm having a weird problem. Curious if you guys have ever dealt with this. I have a master file of my short that is ProRes 422 HQ. All looks perfect on my end. I uploaded it to Amazon Direct and once posted I noticed it was stretched out too much horizontally. It's 1920x1080 (16:9), but on their site it looked like it was a little closer to super wide screen. They said it was exactly as the original uploaded file was. I thought they'd gone crazy. My distributor said they wanted to sign it so we agreed. I sent them all the deliverables and they too said the file was stretched out too wide. When I go back and check my master file it's fine. I compared it to other rendered quicktime files and it's the same size.

There's a long story I won't bore you with about the original project file, but basically I cut the short on a pc (resolve) then got rid of that computer so now I just have the master H264 file from that program. I used compressor on my macbook pro to convert it to ProRes 422 HQ. I know that's not a desired workflow, but it's what had to happen at the time. Nonetheless the final file looks perfect on my system. I just took it to a pc laptop and opened it there and it looks correct. Any guesses as to what in the heck is going on?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: File showing wrong aspect ratio
on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:05:48 pm

[Glenn Payne] "Nonetheless the final file looks perfect on my system."

What is doing the "looking" may be critical. You may want to check in the free version of Telestream Switch and check in its Inspector. Some players tend to "correct" for pixel aspect ratio issues and the like.

http://www.telestream.net/switch/overview.htm

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:25:46 pm

Thanks, Craig! That was something I was worried about as well. I just downloaded it, but my operating system is too old. I'm on 10.6.8 on my macbook pro. Is there an older version of something similar that you'd suggest? Thanks!

p.s. I tried running the newest os x previously and it kept bugging out my system so I had to revert back. It was all very painful.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 16, 2016 at 9:05:04 pm

[Glenn Payne] "my operating system is too old."
Earliest version of Switch only goes back to 10.9.

[Glenn Payne] "p.s. I tried running the newest os x previously and it kept bugging out my system so I had to revert back"

There are ways to fix such issues. Going back to an OS that old is going to be problematic. IMHO you should be using an OS post the implementation of AVFoundation/CoreMedia.

You can partition your boot drive to run two operating systems.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Aug 16, 2016 at 9:14:29 pm

I'll be getting a new system soon so it shouldn't be an issue much longer. Just trying to figure this weird situation out with the quicktime file for now. Any thoughts on other programs that might work as a quality check? I'm not sure what to do other than render tons of different version of the same master file. I wouldn't be able to tell if they're addressing the problem without being able to see the problem for myself. :/

thanks again for your time and input! It's much appreciated. :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 16, 2016 at 9:28:29 pm

VLC might work but I'm not sure of the situation give the age of your OS.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Aug 16, 2016 at 10:09:19 pm

Craig, you rock!!! VLC works for 10.6 and later so it works with my os x. I downloaded it and was able to see that my file was indeed stretched. The new version of the same file plays correctly on VLC so I feel comfortable assuming the stretched issue was corrected with this new render! Quicktime, Imovie and Final Cut must have all been "fixing" the video for me so it looked correct on my end. Seems to be solved now.

Thanks so much!!! :D

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 16, 2016 at 10:24:44 pm

You're welcome of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]