FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing files for Vimeo - look blurry when uplaoded?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caroline Scott
Compressing files for Vimeo - look blurry when uplaoded?
on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:35:11 pm

I have been using handbrake and mpeg streamclip to compress my large files for vimeo using the compression guidelines that they suggest.

When I upload my files, it says that the data rate is not high enough. How do I make it higher? My files are dropping in quality when i upload them, yet when they finish compressing they look fine.

As you can see from the attached image, they are all big to start with (before compression).

Please help, I need the files to look crisp, but they just look rubbish on vimeo

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing files for Vimeo - look blurry when uplaoded?
on Apr 18, 2016 at 2:16:56 pm

[Caroline Scott] "it says that the data rate is not high enough. How do I make it higher? "

umm, raise the data rate. Vimeo has specifications for data rate relative to frame size. You have to use them in your settings.

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:18:30 am

i do raise the data rate, but when i upload the video to vimeo, they give me a warning that the data rate is not high enough, even though i set it to be..!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 19, 2016 at 2:39:08 pm

Perhaps the compression app is limiting the data rate below your target. That does happen. Normally that happens when there's little room for improvement. BTW I've heard others get similar warnings. Usually the quality of the Vimeo encode is still good because source is truly at its best quality.

You can try uploading Apple ProRes. It'll be a big file and it'll take a longer time to upload but I know others who do that and it may result in a better encode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]