FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggest bitrate for 1080p before color grading

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Johansson
Suggest bitrate for 1080p before color grading
on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:13:17 pm

I need to compress a lot of 1080p H.264 mp4 video clips before sending them to the editor. The files are real estate clips, shot with with full frame dslrs with flat picture profiles. The original clips are around 30-40 mbps.

Because of limitations of broadband and upload time I need to compress the files and I would like your help on suggesting a good enough bitrate for the video clips that I send to the editor. The editor will do color grading, stabilizing, adding text etc. The finished videos will be in 1080p with around 10-15 mbps.

So the question is what bitrate should I choose for the original clips that I send to the editor?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Suggest bitrate for 1080p before color grading
on Feb 22, 2016 at 6:01:44 pm

Hi Daniel, I would not go below 15, H.264 footage from DSLRs is notoriously difficult to edit and color grade with, even at full bitrate off of the cards.

If there's any possible way you can send the original clips, even if the editor has to reconnect later, I would try that.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Daniel Johansson
on Feb 23, 2016 at 10:15:10 am

Ok so if I set the compression to around 20 mpbs that would be reasonable compromise?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 24, 2016 at 4:53:56 pm

I suppose so, does get your file size down to half the size. I'm sure your editor will let you know if the editing and or color grading really isn't' working with those files.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]