FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a forum for transcoding? AVCHD to prores?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Is there a forum for transcoding? AVCHD to prores?
on Jan 21, 2016 at 6:34:16 pm

I don't see a forum that deals with file conversion specifically.

I want to get a high quality conversion from AVCVD to prores. All the software packages look silly.

Larry

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is there a forum for transcoding? AVCHD to prores?
on Jan 21, 2016 at 9:58:04 pm

[Larry Watts] "I don't see a forum that deals with file conversion specifically. "

Perhaps you don't know what compression is.

[Larry Watts] "All the software packages look silly."

You've pretty much dead ended the conversation with that given that you've seen them all and they're all silly.

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 22, 2016 at 12:15:15 am

OK sorry, I was trying to get a post off when the phone rang.

When I said silly, I meant they did not look like professional level software but consumer level.

I've used Sorenson Squeeze at my old job which I do consider professional. I don't need all their features right now,

Wondershare, editready, clipwrap are some I'm not sure of.

I have footage from a Canon C100 shot in AVCHD and have heard that the Canon version of AVCHD is different than the others.

And you are right, I need to decompress the AVCHD to prores.

I have Apple compressor and Adobe Media Encoder and Wondershare. Are they all equal in terms of quality. I don't care about speed.

Thanks!
Larry

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2016 at 1:44:04 am

Some NLEs can handle AVCHD directly. Current version of Adobe Premiere Pro CC and Final Cut Pro X should.

If you want to convert to ProRes Compressor will do that and Adobe Media Encoder should on Mac. Generally I'm not sure I'd trust Wondershare as they might be using ffmpeg for a "fake" form of ProRes.

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 26, 2016 at 8:00:28 pm

Going back to me using the term silly. I am very concerned that I could use an inexpensive prosumer conversion software that could bite me down the road in a lengthy video production.
Many of the sites where I have found some of these products look similar and I wonder if it is the same program marketed under different names.

I think FCPX uses compressor when it ingests media and transcodes.

Clipwrap looks interesting because it only rewraps the file in a new container, but the downside is that it retains h.264 and I want to edit in prores.

I may bite the bullet and get sorenson squeeze to be certain I'm giving my client the best possible product.

THX

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2016 at 9:35:57 pm

[Larry Watts] "Many of the sites where I have found some of these products look similar and I wonder if it is the same program marketed under different names."

They are usually using open source ffmpeg encoder rather than licensed encoders. The result could be compatibility issues. If you are a professional, avoid them.

With codecs like x264, it can be both open and licensed so the free Handbrake would be fine for that.
With H.264 there are various encoders such as MainConcept and Apple amongst others but they are comply with the official MPEG spec.

[Larry Watts] "I think FCPX uses compressor when it ingests media and transcodes."

Although it might be more accurate to say they both are using AVFoundation CoreMedia. This is part of the OS basically.

[Larry Watts] "I may bite the bullet and get sorenson squeeze to be certain I'm giving my client the best possible product."

I'm biased but I like Telestream Episode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]