FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codecs for Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lina Vasiliunaite
Codecs for Mac
on Jan 9, 2016 at 12:37:36 am

I'm working with compressed videos, so my goal is to keep best quality. Recently I moved from windows to mac and I hope someone will be able to help me.
Anyway as my first ruined pancake I've tried to make a video which was in H.246. Usually I prepare video for editing with lossless codec, but as I said that was just a first try. I tried to export from Premiere into uncompressed, so far every result was the same, video stuttering on some scenes, not significantly but it's noticeable. I thought maybe compressing it again it would disappear, but no luck.
I had this problem with windows as well, but only if I make video with pictures. After searching, the problem was solved by upgrading ac3 audio codec, which was new for me.

So far I have only perian codec pack and nothing else. I'm absolutely new on mac and I would love some insight. What lossless codecs you use (without animation and png)? To which codec you compress?

And please help me with this stuttering/lagging :(

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Codecs for Mac
on Jan 9, 2016 at 1:16:10 am

I'm confused by what you're trying to do and why.
If you're in Premiere you're already editing.

Generally I'd recommend either using the camera native codec if the NLE and Mac can handle it. Otherwise encode to Apple ProRes. Depending on the source and goal that might range from ProRes LT to ProRes XQ.

Perian is legacy since it's based on Quicktime Frameworks which is deprecated. Apple now uses AVFoundation. Perian will handle playback of some odd codecs but that generally wouldn't help an NLE as modern Mac NLEs are using AVFoundation.

If you want detailed help you may want to read the sticky at the top of this forum and explain in detailed including software version and objectives. The more detail the faster and more accurate response you'll get.

Return to posts index

Lina Vasiliunaite
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:54:47 am

Thank you for the answer :)

So I'll try to explain a little bit better. I have those footages compressed in H.264, because they have small sizes and easier to transfer to me. I work with those footages and so I strive for the least loss of quality.

I need lossless, because probably I'll export project few times. Actually I was working with Sony vegas on windows and AE so that's why I had to export always to import into another. Now I'm still not used to Premiere, probably I wouldn't need to export anymore into video to import to AE. Still working on that.

Anyway probably I found the source of that stuttering but I still have one question. How can I determine what color space of video?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 9, 2016 at 4:33:38 pm

[Lina Vasiliunaite] "I have those footages compressed in H.264, because they have small sizes and easier to transfer to me."
I would only ever use that for final delivery or upload to social media site like YouTube or Vimeo. It's not something I'd ever do for editing.

[Lina Vasiliunaite] "How can I determine what color space of video?"

With rare exception, generally H.264 is 4:2:0 8 bit.
Personally I edit with camera original codecs or encode to ProRes.
ProRes 4444 can survive multiple generations.

[Lina Vasiliunaite] "Now I'm still not used to Premiere, probably I wouldn't need to export anymore into video to import to AE."

They should link to each other dynamically.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]