I'm fairly new to DVD authoring and I don't have much experience when trying to convert HD footage to SD for DVD. I'm trying to burn a 75min dance recital, shot in 1080p, to an SD DVD, and the interlacing on some segments is terrible. Like I said, I'm not educated in the intricacies of DVD authoring, but as I understand it there shouldn't be any interlacing issues as long as I keep the field order the same throughout the entire process.
My settings/workflow are as follows:
1. Edit in FCPX - project setting match footage at 1080p, 29.97
2. Send project directly from FCPX to Compressor 4.2
3. Set Compressor to output .ac3 audio and MPEG-2 video for DVD
4. Video compression settings:
5. Export files from Compressor and bring them into DVD Studio Pro
6. Create Menus in DVD Studio Pro
7. Burn to SD DVD (4.7GB)
I'm not sure if I'm missing something along the way, or if that's just the nature of downconverting to DVD. Any advice is much appreciated.