FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL TO NTSC conversion for film festival ASAP assistance needed!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Gall
PAL TO NTSC conversion for film festival ASAP assistance needed!
on Dec 15, 2015 at 4:20:33 am

I have a feature length doc in HD res. I have to convert to NTSC (only stipulation is H264 or ProRes mov or mp4) I am using MacX Video Convertor due to limited time constraints. Do I just need change frame rate to 29.97 & can I leave the resolution as original? Will this work or is it essential to change to 720 x 480 as this is SD. Also, shall I encode as AAC or Linear PCM audio & what are best suggestions for guaranteed quality playback in US taking into consideration file size as I have to upload to Vimeo etc.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: PAL TO NTSC conversion for film festival ASAP assistance needed!
on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:49:16 am

Welcome to the forum, Karen. Based on the information provided I recommend keeping the file in HD resolution and converting to 29.97fps. Ultimately, you should confirm the specs with the festival organizers.

Here are the Vimeo compression guidelines. You might need to generate multiple versions of the file depending on the requirements of each distribution outlet.

Return to posts index

Karen Gall
on Dec 15, 2015 at 9:20:18 am

Thx for the quick response Ivan? - I made it 720x480 16:9 @ H264 to be sure...I guess the main concern is that if the dimensions are any bigger they may have problem with playback as not sure what equipment they have. I guess best be safe than have it rejected on the deadline? Hopefully the resolution is good enough. The aspect ratio & frame rate is fine. They will download it from Vimeo as a file for screening etc.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:55:30 am

720x480 H.264 is not a spec, though. You would need to use MPEG2-DVD for SD standards. H.264 is part of the Blu-ray spec, however, for HD playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]