FORUMS: list search recent posts

streaming videos on my website/ compression issues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Najat Jellab
streaming videos on my website/ compression issues
on Nov 17, 2015 at 12:58:47 am

hi

I've decided to stream videos on my wordpress using VideoPress which allows you to directly embed them , but it only takes files up to 1gb. Now as some of my videos 4 or 5 gb (mp4 but feature films do weigh a little...) , i am wondering how to compress them < 1gb and still keep the hd quality. VideoPress supports MP4 (.mp4, .m4v), QuickTime movies (.mov), Windows Media Video (.wmv), Audio Video Interleave (.avi), MPEG (.mpg), Ogg (.ogv), 3GPP (.3gp) and 3GPP2 (.3g2).

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: streaming videos on my website/ compression issues
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:20:55 am

Basic math
data rate times duration equals file size.
A simple bit rate calculator can help.
https://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/
You know the duration and you want final size to be 1 GB (for example) and it'll figure out the bit rate for you.

The best quality codec (one that will give you highest quality with lower data rates) would be x264, High Profile, CABAC entropy. Multipass encodes may look better as well but take much longer to encode. Probably .mp4 container would be best.

Return to posts index

Najat Jellab
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:03:31 pm

Thanks. For some reason the calculator doesn't work: i've entered 1h40 min duration and 128 in audio it's giving me NaN...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:17:32 pm

Algebra. Solve for X. You either need to enter file size or data rate to find the missing variable.

Return to posts index

Najat Jellab
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:21:45 pm

Yep, x being the bit rate, me having entered a and b a being duration beibg being audio rate, the calculator should solve x this one doesnt. But i found another way. Thanks anyway

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:40:17 pm

You did not enter file size. You can have bit rate without duration and file size. That was in my first post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]