FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing video files so they can be read by video cameras (GoPro, etc)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Douglas
Compressing video files so they can be read by video cameras (GoPro, etc)
on Oct 5, 2015 at 8:35:41 pm

I'm wondering how to compress/recompress video files to play off of video cameras (i.e. put the video files on the SD card and have the camera be able to read them).

I've shot and edited some footage with the GoPro Hero4 and the Sanyo Xacti (Waterproof). I then tried to compress the .mov files to the same specs of the raw files that I took off the cameras/SD cards, but when I put the compressed files onto the SD cards and put the SD cards back in the cameras, the video files are either not there or are not playable (though I was able to get sound at some point). I've used Media Encoder on a mac and HandBreak on a PC, but to no avail. GoPro uses .mp4 with the h.264 codec, and I've matched that along with the frame rate, resolution, etc, and no luck.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight to why this is happening (I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has something to do with the metadata?) and if there is any possible work around.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing video files so they can be read by video cameras (GoPro, etc)
on Oct 15, 2015 at 3:17:51 am

It's likely there's metadata needed in the structure to trick cameras into thinking the file was created by the camera. The workarounds depend on the camera and may not be possible with some cameras.

It seems to me it would be far easier to use one of the many inexpensive media players.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]