FORUMS: list search recent posts

Challenge: .mp4/standard def -to- HD for editing. It breaks up...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
Challenge: .mp4/standard def -to- HD for editing. It breaks up...
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:41:14 pm

Greetings,

I'm trying to use some older TV news footage, standard def, in a current HD project. Right now, whether I take it to H264 or ProRes, it tears and breaks up.

Source:
FORMAT - VC Coding�����������������������ˇˇ���;avcCM@ˇ·�$gM@ÏÄ<'Ô��, 1920 × 1080, Millions (from Quicktime info)
- VC Coding�������������������������Ä8u��D'���ˇˇ MPEG-4 (from Streamclip info)
DATA RATE - 10mbps
SIZE - 1920x1080

I've used MPEG StreamClip and Final Cut, rendering in the timeline.

Any other formats to use or software to convert with?

**It's a small file so I can upload it to someone or a service to convert this cleanly. Would gladly pay the cost.

Thanks much,
Ralph Chaney

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Challenge: .mp4/standard def -to- HD for editing. It breaks up...
on Sep 14, 2015 at 6:26:44 pm

It looks like you cut and paste and it didn't quite work out.
Perhaps provide a screenshot from Quicktime.
Your describing this as "old" TV footage but the file specs seem to say 1920x1080 and possibly AVC (h.264).

It's hard to know what you mean by tears and breaks up. You may want to provide a screenshot of that as well as what it looks like before encoding.

You should read the pinned post at the top of the forum and provide more complete information otherwise there may be lots of wrong assumptions.

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Sep 14, 2015 at 6:55:35 pm

At Craig's suggestion, here's more info, a still shot, and a short section of the original.

--Computer - Mac
OS 10.8.5

--MPEG Streamclip v1.9.2

--Source codec: file type says .mp4, more info in original post

--Destination codec - H264 or ProRes

--Type of destination use - I have been providing H264's to another editor. He will edit.

1. Screenshot of Tearing artifact:

2. Test clip from original, 8 secs.
Link: 9258_tvfootagejacobstest.mov.zip

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:35:43 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:39:03 pm

I see what you mean by tearing.
What does the source file look like at the same point in Quicktime?
ProRes really should cause tearing but it might expose less obvious issues in the source file.

Also If your source is H.264 .mp4 at 1920x1080 and you say your editor can use that, why are you re-encoding the file to H.264 as one of your options. ProRes can be a useful alternative though for many editors.

Sorry but something about what your doing and the information you're providing doesn't make sense especially since you described your source as Standard Def.

Please open the source in Quicktime and use Show Movie Inspector and provide a screen shot.

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:56:13 pm

Craig,

Thank you much. This file has .mp4 as the filetype so I assumed it was not H264. Whatever it is, when I do anything besides look at it, as-is, in quicktime, it has "torn"...

I assumed it is standard def as it was shot in 2002. Hopefully looking that the info screen will help. Now, it was provided by someone who archives footage from TV stations, so maybe he already transcoded it, or the station did. (He doesn't have a version of higher res or other filetype.
Thanks for looking at this screenshot!

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:05:50 pm

Whoops, Just read that mpeg4 IS H.264… Hmmmmmm… So it must have been converted at some point.

Yet, I've had other h264 look just fine transcoding to prores or to other h264 files with different data rates, etc.

Maybe a high-end converter would clean up subtle articfacts?

-R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:23:17 pm

You could confirm by using the free MediaInfo but my guess it's an H.264 file
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

.mp4 commonly contains H.264 but it can contain other things including the older MPEG4 (pre H.264) or even MPEG2.

Looks like it was already unconverted to 1920x1080 in some fashion.
Given the high data rate of the source it should transcode to 1920x1080 ProRes though without too much visual impact.

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Sep 15, 2015 at 12:52:03 am

I'll check it out.

It so happens that the source of the clip was able to convert it to Pro Res 4444. I'll ask how he did it. I'll get back to you…

-
R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:27:46 pm

The service, The Video Company, used Final Cut 10 to create a usable PRes 4444. They used Any Video Converter to make other formats of lower res but which still held up. My FCP V7 could not. I assume Adobe software could do it too.

Thanks for your willingness to help!!!!

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:40:20 pm

If FCPX can do it, it's likely that the current version of Apple Compressor can convert the files as well. It's only $50 but there's no trial version. You can download a free trial version of FCPX though. FCPX and Compressor use the same encoding engine although Compressor has much more access to custom configuration.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]