FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tiny file size videos for iOS app? Encoder vs Handbrake

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Moon
Tiny file size videos for iOS app? Encoder vs Handbrake
on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:01:36 am

Hi there,

I edit in Premiere CC, export large, and then my client knocks out these awesome H264s for his iOS app with Handbrake. Since I want to avoid multiple compressions, I want to do it myself in one hit with Adobe Encoder.

I want 960x540 h264 with about 100 kbit/s data rate.

If I try to match his exports, I have problems.

Encoder keeps me in "Level 3.1" for that frame size, and I can't do less than 190 kbit/s - and even that looks worse (blocker, more noise) than his exports.

Anyone else wrestled with Encoder to get pretty tiny H264 videos? They are mute btw, and short loops of 8 seconds.

Argh!

Thanks
Lucy

MacBookPro 2.8 GHz intel core i7/ 16 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Adobe Creative Suite Cloud

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Tiny file size videos for iOS app? Encoder vs Handbrake
on Jul 31, 2015 at 12:44:27 am

100 kbits/s is certainly not what you're looking for. That is impossibly small for a video file. The average 720p YouTube video has a data rate of 2-3000 kbits/s. For 960x540 maybe start around 1000 kbits/s and work your way up until you like what you see.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Lucy Moon
Re: Tiny file size videos for iOS app? Encoder vs Handbrake
on Sep 8, 2015 at 11:55:15 pm

Thanks Eric. The file size /low data rate issue is because users have to download the video clips onto their phones before they can use to the app, so although 1000kbps would look nicer, it's a compromise between pretty and fast-to-install.

Actually I figured Handbrake out in case anyone else wants to know. I'm using a "Constant Quality" compression with an RF of about 25 for iphone, which results in smart compression (depending on complexity of clip) that can be anywhere between 100kbits to 600kbps. Overall I'm really pleased with this, as I couldn't achieve the same picture-quality-to-filesize-ratio with Adobe Encoder.

Handbrake is an excellent tool and open source!

MacBookPro 2.8 GHz intel core i7/ 16 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Adobe Creative Suite Cloud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]