FORUMS: list search recent posts

No longer able to compress in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Scherzer
No longer able to compress in Compressor
on Jun 2, 2015 at 8:57:47 pm

Hi, I have Compressor 3.0.5 An upgrade to OS X Yosemite has not allowing me to submit a compression request. It said I must "restart your computer or verify that your Compressor installation is correct.

I first went to Apple Troubleshooting and I found this for Compressor 4.

Compressor 4.1: 'Unable to submit to queue' alert, 'className is null' error, or won't complete a batch
Follow these instructions if Compressor 4.1 displays the alert "Unable to submit to queue" after you submit a batch for transcoding. The alert may ask you to restart your computer or verify that your Compressor installation is correct.

Resolution

Before proceeding, you should make a backup your custom settings, which are located in Library/Application Support/Compressor/ in your home folder.
Then remove the Compressor and Apple Qmaster folders from the home and root Library folders of your startup disk:
1 From the Finder, hold down the Option key and choose Go > Library from the menu bar.
2 Your home Library folder will open. Open the Application Support folder, then drag the Compressor folder and Apple Qmaster folder (if present) to the Trash.
3 Go to the top level of your startup disk. Open the Library folder, then open the Application Support folder and drag the Compressor folder and Apple Qmaster folder (if present) to the Trash.
4 Restart your computer.

So, I went to try this and there was not a folder for Compressor in the Application support. So i only was able to put Apple Qmaster in the trash and nothing happened.

Anyone who can help? Thanks in advance, David Scherzer

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
Re: No longer able to compress in Compressor
on Jun 2, 2015 at 9:55:32 pm

Have you checked to see if there are any updates for compressor in the App Store/updates section?
If there isn't then, I'd back up any specific settings you've made. Delete compressor and install from App Store, again.

Regards,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 2, 2015 at 10:47:09 pm

Compressor 3.0.5 was never available in the app store and wasn't the last iteration of the 3 series. I believe the last was version 3.5.3. Version 3.0.5 was part of Studio 2 series (FCP6 I believe). 3.0.5 may not be compatible with Yosemite.I believe the .05 update was released Nov 2008. 3.5.x may be as some people do have FCP7 running on Yosemite.

If you don't have Studio (3 never actually called that though) then you may want to spring for the $50 and buy Compressor 4.2 from the App Store.

Return to posts index

David Scherzer
on Jun 3, 2015 at 12:01:49 am

Thanks to both of you for replying ... i guess i'll buy from the app store, better than having no Compressor at all, price seems reasonable ...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 3, 2015 at 1:34:36 am

Apple has made major improvement to their H.264 encoding. Not only is the quality much better but Compressor 4.2 is generally faster than older versions.

Return to posts index

David Scherzer
on Jun 3, 2015 at 7:53:17 pm

Thanks for the info, this is good to know. My last question is, will I be able to use Compressor 4 with DVD Studio Pro 4? I also use Final Pro 6.06 but I am guessing any quicktime would be compatible with Compressor.

Thanks,

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 3, 2015 at 8:11:23 pm

You can use Compressor 4 to create a DVD complaint file (separate video and audio).

I'm not absolutely sure of DVD Studio 4's built in encoding would work on Yosemite. Keep in mind it may be problematic in that you're using Final Cut Studio 2 and I suspect most who are on Yosemite are using Final Cut Studio that was released in 2009 (often called 3).

Return to posts index

David Scherzer
on Jun 3, 2015 at 8:25:38 pm

I was able to import compressor 3 files into DVD Studio Now 4 on Yosemite so maybe I'll get lucky - thanks again for the info, all very helpful.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jun 3, 2015 at 4:57:42 pm

Dave, Larry Jordan just put out a series of articles regarding's Compressor 4's quality and speed, in short, it flies! No reason not to upgrade

https://larryjordan.com/articles/speed-test-adobe-media-encoder-vs-apple-co...

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]