FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinema Craft vs Episode - Which is better?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
Cinema Craft vs Episode - Which is better?
on May 7, 2015 at 2:03:31 am

Yes, I know, something like this topic is subjective...

But, for some reason, lately I hate my Compressor made Mpeg 2 files for DVD - I've played with different settings, etc... usually made things worse than the default settings...

I get harsh artifacts when zooming mostly, or panning and zooming... esp in Reds, and higher contrast colors, etc... the edges "shimmer", and getting like "chunky" artifacts when zooming...

Now, I'm sure Im pushing it too, asking for perfection at 4.5 bit rate, which I need to have a 120 min disk, and I remember an old version of bit vice I had that worked will for this... but bit vice is no longer...

I downloaded the demo of Episode, and the clip I made purposely had a ton of zooms, all different speeds, lots of motion, and some not as much - 7 mins...

Episode got rid of the "clunky" zooming thing, but still had a fair amount of problems with the very thin lines from the original footage...

So, I applied a gaussian Blur to the footage (very slight)

Compressors stuff looked worse - BUT episode's encode really looked good, acceptable for sure.

Here is my question...

Do I spend $600 on Episode or $990 on Cinema Craft plug in for Compressor??

The two big pros for Episode are tons of other codecs, and $400 less... BUT I love the up to 99 passes that cinema craft could do if you were that nuts about doing that :-)

The other plus, is that compressor would still be used, which, Im assuming, would still maintain things like chapter markers for inclusion into DVD SP....

BTW Im open to opinions on Squeeze and/or Media Encoder...

Thanks for reading and I value all of your ideas and thoughts on this matter... I don't mind a Grand if it really is and AMAZING piece of software.... but I like the flexibility of Episode too, with all their codecs... esp their Mpeg4/H.264 and their Blu Ray codec, which Im assuming are both better than Compressors?

Thanks all!

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]