FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes Using FFMpeg on Windows -- Install Problem with SqLite

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam stalos
ProRes Using FFMpeg on Windows -- Install Problem with SqLite
on Mar 16, 2015 at 1:56:12 am
Last Edited By sam stalos on Mar 16, 2015 at 3:22:33 am

I am trying to compress a .mov file using the ProRes codec available from FFMpeg with Another Gui interface. This process was mentioned on CreativeCow in 2010.

I'm using Windows 7. Source files were shot in motion jpeg, 1280 x 720, 30 fps, which show up in the Vegas editing software under the .mov wrapper. Editing was completed and rendered to the QuickTime, i.e. .mov wrapper, so there's been no funny conversions along the way. No audio involved. I just need to compress this 20 gig .mov file into something that uses a spatial compression scheme (not temporal), and ProRes is highly recommended.

1) Another Gui references the downloading of 3 files, Another Gui, FFMpeg, and a SQLite file. The site instructs "WatchFolders do need a SQLite present. Donwload an apropriate file from below and extract to AnotherGUI folder."

Fine. I downloaded the appropriate file (32-bit in my case) and extract it .... and there's the rub.

I've tried arranging this "extract to AnotherGui Folder" several times and can't get Another Gui to find the SQLite file. Every time I launch Another Gui I get an error message stating "could not find folder assembly "SystemData. version 1.094.0. The system can't find the file "SQLite_netFx40_setup-bundle-x32-2010-1.094.0.exe".

I've tried creating a folder under C:Program FilesVideoConversion inside of which I have then loaded/installed/extracted each of the three files. Doesn't work. I've tried extracting the SQLite program inside the Another Gui, as I think the site suggests. Did not work.

What am I doing wrong? What should that folder/file relationship look like?

2) Which of the many presets in the FFMpeg program do you recommend for my project? The final files must be in .mov and smoothly run under quicktime players on five XP and window 7 machines. The playback computers are common computers with unimpressive specs, like Dell OptiPlex 270 and 280 machines, dual core, 2.6 GigHz, with 1 Gig Ram. In other words, pretty vanilla machines.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: ProRes Using FFMpeg on Windows -- Install Problem with SqLite
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:51:37 am

I don't know about AnotherGUI but here is an ffmpeg command line that creates a standard profile ProRes file.

ffmpeg.exe -i -c:v prores_ks -profile:v standard -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -c:a pcm_s16le -chunk_size 128K output.mov

ffmpeg by itself certainly does not need sqllite.

Return to posts index

sam stalos
on Mar 21, 2015 at 4:06:49 am

Thanks for the advise, Norman. I also tried the Avanti gui and felt I was closer to making it work, but Avanti admits to some incompatibility issues with Windows 7.

Finally I went back, and as you suggested, just dove into the command-line approach. I felt I was back in DOS-land. I finally got it to work.

For anyone who has the same problems, I found a website written by David Torcivia detailing the command-line approach he used. It was very nicely detailed, and redundant with explanation, just the thing you need the first time through.

I could not invoke ffmpeg to open using just the command "ffmpeg," even though I had drilled into the "bin" folder. I had to specify "ffmpeg.exe". That threw me for a while. And because I hadn't read the document ffmpeg provides (thinking I would use a gui), I thought the "-an" command was code for output file location. But of course it's not. It means no audio. And with all those sub-folders, making a typo was so easy I almost gave up on the command-line approach. Now I see the advantage of a gui. I may go back to Avanti and try to figure out the nuances, but for now I'm cooking.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 23, 2015 at 7:10:31 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Mar 23, 2015 at 7:15:08 pm

You may look at cliptoolz convert for a GUI frontend to ffmbc/ffmpeg

http://hdcinematics.com/blog/cliptoolz-covert-v2/

http://hdcinematics.com/convert-V2.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved