FORUMS: list search recent posts

current audio/video compression for computer playback

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Raichl
current audio/video compression for computer playback
on Feb 19, 2015 at 3:01:44 pm

HI:
What's the current thinking for creating an h.264 file to playback on a Mac or PC? While we follow YouTube's specs for uploading, many of our clients want to playback their videos off their computer, using the HDMI out to a big screen. What setting/bitrate should I use for highest quality without monster file size, and what should audio be? AAC?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: current audio/video compression for computer playback
on Feb 19, 2015 at 5:56:25 pm

Craig Seeman is the guru on this one, but an h.264 codec wrapped in .mp4 is a good choice for playback on mac and pc. Typically for a 1080 file a bitrate of 7-10 Mbps is pretty standard, for 720 3-6 Mbps, and for SD 1-3 Mbps. If you just have talking heads you could lower those numbers. For audio, yes AAC.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Kevin Raichl
on Feb 19, 2015 at 9:43:46 pm

Thanks. I mostly use Compressor for this type work; not sure how to do this. If I select MPEG-4 as the video in the custom box, I assume that is the wrapper. How do I get the H.264 codec inside, or is that automatic?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:32:43 pm

Compressor 3 or Compressor 4? You can't make H.264 MP4's in Compressor 3.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Kevin Raichl
on Feb 21, 2015 at 12:30:15 am

I have Compressor 3 and 4. Haven't used 4 much yet. I see an H.264 main and baseline profiles. What is the difference, and which do you recommend? And for audio, 44.1 or 48kz?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 23, 2015 at 5:13:22 pm

I would recommend Main profile. H.264 profiles essentially set different encoding parameters and options. Baseline is the simplest, then Main, then High. Some devices, older iphones, ipods, etc, are not able to play High profile.

For audio you would want to choose what you edited in.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]