FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need software advice for matching delivery specs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Schultz
Need software advice for matching delivery specs
on Feb 4, 2015 at 5:13:26 pm

Hello,

We will be delivering programming for broadcast in a "PAL" environment. I don't have experience encoding for xd5c and i'm not sure which encoding platform will be able to satisfy the requirements. I have dug through my available options in both Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder and have found many of the specs required but not all.

My main question then is, provided the specs below, which software will be needed? Is it possible that some of the specs listed are just assumed in an application where i don't see a specific option to select it and therefore able to match the specs?

TL;DR - Do i need Telestream Episode Pro?

Video
ID : 1

Format : MPEG Video

Commercial name : XDCAM HD422

Format version : Version 2

Format profile : 4:2:2@High

Format settings, BVOP : Yes

Format settings, Matrix : Custom

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12

Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Codec ID : xd5c

Duration : 3mn 3s

Bit rate : 50.0 Mbps

Original width : 1920 pixels
Original height : 1080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.997
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed : Closed

Audio
ID : 2

Format : PCM

Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : sowt
Duration : 3mn 3s

Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Need software advice for matching delivery specs
on Feb 5, 2015 at 3:06:36 am

It looks like they need a XDCAM HD422 1080i50 file. Which NLE are you editing in. I know FCP 7 had an option to export to XDCAM.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Justin Schultz
on Feb 5, 2015 at 3:26:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm editing in PPro CC.

Yes, it does seem like that is what they want. However the XDCAM HD 422 1080i50 presets in AME are missing many of the line items listed in the specs, e.g.:

Video
Format settings, BVOP
Color space: YUV
Compression mode: Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame): 0.997

Audio
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID: sowt
Or the ability to set the audio bitrate to 1536kbps

Wrapper is a little vague in the specs but all of my options are different in AME whether i choose .mpg, .mxf, or .mov

I was hoping someone could tell me that some of these specs are assumed in certain settings or referred to as something else. Or if they knew whether Episode Pro would display more of the spec line items.

I will probably download the trial of Episode Pro to see if that answers my questions, while setting up some test deliveries from my AME choices.

It's a tough topic to not be verbose with! Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 6, 2015 at 3:04:10 pm

Hi Justin, those settings are assumed. I just did a test here with Media Encoder and choosing Format: Quicktime, then codec XDCAM HD422 1080i50 output settings that matched. Make sure you changed your audio settings to uncompressed. When I output an MXF, the audio bitrate was a bit lower, so they must want an .mov.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Justin Schultz
on Feb 6, 2015 at 6:51:16 pm

Thanks so much for the reply Eric. Very helpful and much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Manny Kivowitz
on Apr 1, 2015 at 3:21:16 pm

Super helpful thread but unfortunately the one thing that Justins specs didn't include which the specs we received, for 10 different major markets in the US via Comcast, was requirement of embedded (not sidecar) closed captioning in the MPEG 2 file.

The specs for our 12 individual PSA's also required encoding for both HD & SD - both in mpeg 2. The SD specs were slightly different of course but similar overall.

After trying Adobe Media Encoder (which won't output closed captioning to mpg) and Episode Pro (which also wouldn't output embedded closed captioning), as well as trying encoding.com and Amazons Elastic Encoder - both of which we failed to get successful results from, we finally decided to go to an outside vendor to run the final deliverables from ProRes HQ masters (seperate masters for HD & SD). The vendor, Sycro in NYC, used Telestream's enteprise grade system, Vantage to do the job.

It just seems unreal to us that in 2015, formats that have been used by broadcasters for years are not included in Pro encoding software.

The final kicker was that when we received the encoded files back from the vendor, we could not check the closed captioning properly without having to purchase a player like Switch or Drastic Preview.

If anyone has any thoughts on the above, we'd love to hear them!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 1, 2015 at 4:00:44 pm

[Manny Kivowitz] "The vendor, Sycro in NYC, used Telestream's enteprise grade system, Vantage to do the job.
"

[Manny Kivowitz] "Episode Pro (which also wouldn't output embedded closed captioning)"

I believe Telestream is listening.

[Manny Kivowitz] "t just seems unreal to us that in 2015, formats that have been used by broadcasters for years are not included in Pro encoding software."

One may well do this in 2015.

[Manny Kivowitz] "we could not check the closed captioning properly without having to purchase a player like Switch"

Probably not a feature you'd find in a free player. Development involves resources and the market is small so returns on development investment have to happen.

Return to posts index

Daniel Fletcher
on Apr 7, 2015 at 4:33:44 am

Have you called the broadcaster directly and spoken with the people that will receiving your files?
They may be able to offer you some insight, suggest an encoder or offer you other options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]