FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faster Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Peruso
Faster Compression
on Jan 23, 2015 at 6:59:27 pm

I need to figure out the fastest way to compress files.

I need to merge multiple clips and change their format. We film athletic tournaments. Every time we hit stop and start record on the camera we get a new clip. In a weekend we film hundreds of games and we have literally thousands of clips that need this done after a tournament. I need to merge all clips from one game together and change them to an mp4 format. SO naturally this is a time consuiming process I need to speed up. I use MPEG streamclip for its batch & clip merging abilities.

I have two brand new imacs 3.4ghz i7 with 32gb ram and they are pretty fast, unfortunately two of these going round the clock still does not do it fast enough as I have thousands of clips to do. I have 3 Macbook pros early 2011 that are MUCH slower in comparison. Is there a way to tether these macbooks together so all 3 processors work together or something I can do to compress even faster?

Is a render farm something I should look into - and if so how do I go about setting one up?

Any type of solution or thought is much appreciated! Thanks for any help in advance!

-John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Faster Compression
on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:09:35 pm

MPEGStreamclip is pretty much EOL technology since it's using Quicktime.
Apple Compressor takes advantage of Intel QuickSync technology so it can be extremely fast on new i7 processors. In addition you can make clusters.

Return to posts index

John Peruso
on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:35:22 pm

Craig,

Thanks for your input. Yes MPEG is much slower and doesn't work on newer OSX.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are clusters?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:50:28 pm

Clustering allows you to use the cores of multiple machines at the same time. They have to be connected by ethernet on the same subnet I believe.

Maybe this will make it easier to understand

Return to posts index

John Peruso
on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:01:49 pm

Can I set a batch of tasks? I have tons of clips that certain ones need to be merged together. Can I set up a batch of multiple merges or can I only do 1 at a time? (so far MPEg was the only program that allowed me to do this which is why I stuck with it so long)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]