FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing aspect ratio to 100% of source when exporting for DVD in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Bowers
Changing aspect ratio to 100% of source when exporting for DVD in Compressor
on Dec 11, 2014 at 2:42:20 am

When I export in Compressor using DVD settings (Best Quality: 90 minutes), it makes the aspect ratio 16:9 instead of 100% of the source. I exported the film from FCP as an uncompressed QT, and the aspect ratio is 2048x1080, so Compressor making it 16:9 squeezes the image. And when I try to change the setting under Video Format, the only options for the frame size is 16:9 or 4:3.

Is there a way I can get it to compress it with the Pixel Aspect Ratio being 100% of the source? Is there a different setting I should compress it with that would still create a file that's works for DVD?

I have to send the DVD out for a deadline tomorrow, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Here's my specs:
Computer - Mac OSX 10.8.5
Software used- Compressor 3.5.3
Source codec: Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy), Linear PCM, Timecode
Destination codec: any DVD-friendly codec that looks good
Type of destination use- DVD

Thanks a lot,

Adam

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Changing aspect ratio to 100% of source when exporting for DVD in Compressor
on Dec 11, 2014 at 3:50:47 pm

Short answer is no, it has to fit into the 16x9 frame. When it downscales your video it will add black bars on the top and bottom to maintain the aspect ratio. Under the Frame Controls tab, turn the Resize Filter to Best.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Adam Bowers
Re: Changing aspect ratio to 100% of source when exporting for DVD in Compressor
on Dec 11, 2014 at 10:52:30 pm

Thanks Eric!

Just wanted to come back and post that I did find a solution: In Compressor, in the Geometry pane, there's an option marked "Padding." I set that to "Preserve aspect ratio" and it added bars to the top and bottom to adjust for it. It worked well.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Dec 12, 2014 at 4:24:25 pm

Think I slightly misunderstood your question, but yes that is what I was getting at, glad you got it!

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]