FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best settings for exporting for cinema screening?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna economou
What is the best settings for exporting for cinema screening?
on Nov 12, 2014 at 8:50:29 pm

Hello,
I have edited my film which was shot with a dslr 5d mark ii and exported it in apple pro res 422 and the quality is great. What is the best settings that you would recommend me to export the film for a cinema screen? They asked me if I can export it in H264 but I do this and from 7,5 GB the file becomes so compressed that goes to 450MB and the quality is bad. I do not have compressor so I use Mpeg stream clip.
Could you please advice me if H264 is a bad idea for cinema screening and what would be the best settings or an h264 HD export? Should I buy compressor? Should I send them the Apple pro reds 422 file which is excellent?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

thank you in advance

Anna

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What is the best settings for exporting for cinema screening?
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:06:08 pm

The professional thing to do is get the specs from them. The codec used is just one factor. You need to know exactly what they can play. If you can understand the settings, I'd recommend HandBrake because it's x264 encoder is better than MPEGStreamclip which uses Apple's.

Return to posts index

anna economou
on Nov 13, 2014 at 12:03:13 am

Thank you very much for your reply!!

I will ask what do they play asap.
Handbrake is a software like compressor or mpeg stream clip?
Is h264 not ideal for screening in a cinema screen? I try to find the pros and cos of H264 towards apple pro res and I have been confused because I cannot see a clear answer. I know that apple pro res 422 is better for editing but which codec is better for a screen between those two?

Anna

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2014 at 12:48:17 am

[anna economou] "Handbrake is a software like compressor or mpeg stream clip?"

HandBrake is free like MPEGStreamclip but it uses a better version of H.264 called x264.

[anna economou] "Is h264 not ideal for screening in a cinema screen?"

Some may be fine with ProRes if you can get them the file. H.264 may need specific settings. As you can see, quality can vary depending on the settings.

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Mar 14, 2015 at 6:12:18 pm

I need to compress an HD Prores 4444 master file to Prores 422 for a festival screening, they also ask for an h.264 as back up.

Which software would you recommend for the best quality compressions? Compressor3.5, Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG Streamclip, guess I could also run it through Davinci Resolve?

I've used them all and never noticed a difference although I hear Adobe isn't as clean.

Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]