FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor settings for mac and PC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tone Andersen
compressor settings for mac and PC
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:02:54 pm

Hi,
I recently made a commissioned film that I edited on FCP6 and made an uncompressed export of, to a mov file.
Afterwards I compressed it through mpeg streamclip using some recommended settings making a small file for upload to website and a bigger file for in-house screenings.

I use a mac and both the files look good to me.
My client mounted the files though a memory-stick on his PC, and when he tried playing the clips on windows media player, the larger file only played the sound, no picture, and the smaller file only played the picture , no sound.

The small file: H.264, IMA 4:1 (1280x720)
The larger file: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Linear PCM, (1920x1080)

Should I try H.264 with linear PCM, or is there another universal format that works on mac and PC and various kind of players?

Thank you,
Tone

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: compressor settings for mac and PC
on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:34:04 pm

[Tone Andersen] "My client mounted the files though a memory-stick on his PC, and when he tried playing the clips on windows media player, the larger file only played the sound, no picture, and the smaller file only played the picture , no sound.
"

[Tone Andersen] "The larger file: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Linear PCM, (1920x1080)"

This will only play in Quicktime. It's possible he may need the Apple ProRes playback codec for windows as well.

[Tone Andersen] "The small file: H.264, IMA 4:1 (1280x720)"
For audio try MPEG4 AAC

This will play in either WMP12 or Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Tone Andersen
Re: compressor settings for mac and PC
on Oct 29, 2014 at 6:41:08 am

Thank you so much for this, I will try and hope it works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]