FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is IMX30 a better source/master for compressing/transcoding vs uncompressed AVI/Quicktime?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Tecson
Is IMX30 a better source/master for compressing/transcoding vs uncompressed AVI/Quicktime?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 4:57:32 pm

Hi, I posted this question on the Premiere Pro forum, and I was hoping to get the opinion of the people in the compression forum. See, I just came across this requirement from a digital delivery service for TVCs. They ask for an IMX30 to be uploaded on to their cloud, which then gets recompressed/transcoded to different file formats such as DVCPro50, DV25, IMX50, etc, and sometimes even get dubbed onto a BetacamSP tape.

I'm sort of questioning this process as I've always believed that starting from the best source, such as an uncompressed file, is always better than starting with a lossy codec such as IMX30.

Here's a link to the complete article:

http://www.groupimd.com/en/philippines/why-imd/news/why-imx-files-are-bette...

Am I right in thinking this article is more of a marketing move rather than an attempt to be technicality accurate and transparent? Would appreciate inputs. Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is IMX30 a better source/master for compressing/transcoding vs uncompressed AVI/Quicktime?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 6:02:14 pm

Those are all older standard def formats and not great quality by modern standards.

Is this for TV /Cable (not public access)?

Common delivery has been MPEG2 Program or Transport Streams.
Sone now accept AppleProRes and DNxHD (I believe) if you have the bandwidth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]