ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

editing psd files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet Reddyediting psd files
by on May 6, 2011 at 3:16:54 pm

Hi all im working on a job thats all photoshop files. I have tried a few different composition settings and different codec renders it looks ok but not great, compared to the original photoshop file, also some of my photos look great in photoshop but when i go to after fx they seem to loose saturation? i will be putting the final job to sd DVD. can anybody recommend what would be the best settings to use ie codec settings composition settings etc to get the sharpest images? i will be finishing edit in FCP. Cheers Emmet

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: editing psd files
by on May 6, 2011 at 4:30:21 pm

Photoshop documents need to be in RGB for use in AE. They can't be CMYK. If they are, you need to convert them first.

Since we don't know anything about your FCP edit timeline, we can't tell you a thing about the kind of comp to use in AE, or the codec to use for rendering.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: editing psd files
by on May 6, 2011 at 4:37:26 pm

Since your destination is DVD, your cook settings choices are one of the dv comp settings. If you want 4:3, choose the .91 pixel aspect; for 16:9, choose the 1.21 pixel aspect ratio (widescreen preset). Frame rates are either 29.97 or 23.976.

For codec, since you will finish in fcp, I'd choose as little compression as possible. Quicktime Uncompressed 10-bit, lossless animation, png or photo-jpeg (quality at around 95) or prores 422.

From fcp, you can use compressor to encode for DVD (mpeg-2).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Emmet ReddyRe: editing psd files
by on May 6, 2011 at 6:28:53 pm

Ok cheers i will try those settings you recommended.
However i just want to check, If I selecting a hdv or 2k custom preset or some other preset to create my photo animations in after effects it wont make any difference when i go back to FCP in terms of the quality for my dvd?
On the other issue of the pictures loosing quality they look good in photoshop but in after effects the dont look as good i have to add curves and saturation to get them to look like the original file they are all rgb files any idea on this issue.
Cheers Emmet

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: editing psd files
by on May 6, 2011 at 7:41:01 pm

[Emmet Reddy] "it wont make any difference when i go back to FCP in terms of the quality for my dvd?"

Nope. And WHY doesn't it make any difference? Because A DVD has a set resolution. In NTSC-Land it's 720x480, and in PAL countries it's 720x576. AE even has comp presets for these... and I'll typically trust AE to get things right than I would some other application. You bring your photoshop work into AE, and it'll look pretty darned much like it will on a DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emmet ReddyRe: editing psd files
by on May 6, 2011 at 8:28:40 pm

Ok Cheers I will take your and advice on board and sort out getting this job done.
Thanks for your time Emmet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]