ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Correction

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gully MooreColor Correction
by on May 6, 2011 at 1:53:30 pm

Hi guys, I filmed a shoot in a green screen and I've keyed it out fine, but I'm not great at the color correction side of things.

I've tried playing around with curves and things but with not much progress.

Has anyone got any advice on how I can learn? Here is the image I need to correct:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color Correction
by on May 6, 2011 at 2:45:24 pm

The flesh tones look pretty good. What needs fixing? And is that how the guy's hair REALLY looks?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Color Correction
by on May 6, 2011 at 5:49:19 pm

First issue comes from lighting and the lens flares/bright stars from the background. If you wanted a big source of light in the bk you should've matched that in the shoot. As is, you need to dim the bright stars in the bk since the main source is from the right.
You can try downloading Colorista from Red Giant- they have a free version. You get three color wheels, one for highlights, one for mid tones and a third for the blacks. You can push the blacks and mid tones to blue to better match the background. Also your compositing could use some light wrapping.
For a quick fix you may try applying the Photo Filter with a "cool" preset, 30- 40%.
That's the quick and dirty way of it, for in depth grading I would recommend spending time with a colorist and "stealing" the art.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Color Correction
by on May 6, 2011 at 5:48:31 pm

If you're trying to match the color and tone of the background try using Color Finesse.

I dislike the term "correction" as it applies to color since it implies there is a "correct" color, unless you're making colors legal ``for broadcast, really you're tweaking the color to taste. You are color grading.

You need to understand some color theory to get started, also look at light wrap around the subject.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved