ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Removing frame similarities

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen ByrdRemoving frame similarities
by on May 6, 2011 at 1:23:30 pm

So I'm new here and hoping you guys can help me out. I need to get a shot where the same car is repeating over and over in different parking spaces. It's only a 3 second shot, so I was going to just lock the camera down and move the car over and over and composite it.

So my question is, Is there a way in AE I could take a shot of the empty parking lot and then one with a car in it and just remove the similarities, so basically just the parking lot, so that it almost acts like a key I guess. I figured it's a long shot but it could really make it a lot easier not to have to basically rotoscope every car.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys. I'm excited to get involved in this community!

Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd

Ace Digital Media, LLC
40 South River Road, Unit #52
Bedford, NH 03110
T 603.232.2723
F 603.518.5019

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Removing frame similarities
by on May 6, 2011 at 2:31:37 pm

Well, you could TRY using the Difference Matte effect:

But here's the deal: this effect works by comparing two shots on a pixel-by-pixel basis. The more consistent the pixels are in the area to be eliminated, the more accurate it will be. You have to take great care when shooting.

Speaking of shooting, you'll want to think about shadows as you plan out the shot. Where do the shadows fall? Would the shadow of one car fall on another car that isn't there when you shoot?

An overcast day may be best. And you may not even NEED very complicated masks, depending on the angle at which you shoot this. If the angle's right, there would be minimal rotoscoping to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Removing frame similarities
by on May 6, 2011 at 8:16:44 pm

Dave made a very strong point, at first when you discover the difference matte it seems a quick way to solve that problem, but when you get the actual footages it can get easily out of control, a few mismatch (clouds passing) can cause some flicker and you end up having to patch things.

So I basically just mask it in the first place.

Return to posts index

Danny HaysRe: Removing frame similarities
by on May 6, 2011 at 11:53:03 pm

With the camera locked down, every spot the car is in. the car will be shot from a different angle, so trying to key it, you would have to duplicate those angles. Now shadows, with keying would depend if the parking lot is empty except for your car. If there's a car next to your car and the shadow hits that car, the keying the car way would then be way harder. I recomend your method of just moving the car for each shot, as long as the sky is clear or completely overcast. If a shot or two happened to have a cloud over you where the rest didn't, that shadow wont match the others. Hope this helps, Danny Hays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved