ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text into a Shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa ThompsonText into a Shape
by on May 5, 2011 at 10:55:25 pm

ok so the plan is to take a sentence of words and have it rise up or fall into a shape. do i have to do this with masks? any suggestions on tricks or easy ways to do this? (i've only played with masks a little so anything you can tell me would be great)

so i have text that i want to fall into a shape and then also i want to use the coloring/shading that i've done in photoshop, but i'm not sure if that's possible either. also i split up the sentence so that if it were to fit in this shape

some words
be bigger

and some would be together and others not (i hope i'm explaining this ok), but does that mean i have to set up separate masks for each one or just different layers??? i'm just staring at the screen hoping the after effects fairy will magically make what i want to work happen, but it's not. if anyone can help me that'd be GREAT! thanks so much.

- mj

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Text into a Shape
by on May 6, 2011 at 1:11:52 am

I think if you approach this backwards, you'll find it a lot easier. Get all the text in the final shape you want, then apply a preset text animation that comes with AE, or create your own if you really want total control of it. Render it off, then import it and reverse it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Text into a Shape
by on May 6, 2011 at 8:35:30 pm

If you intend to create some distortion, precompose it and use the bezier warp effect. Masking wont help you much here, you gota have separete words for each uneven position/scale/distortion you will end up.

And you can't use paths too if you intend to keep the photoshop effects you used, they can simplify some text animations in certain cases.

So, to keep it straight, depending on the look that you want, it can only be done with manual keyframing/animation. No easy tricks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved