ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

automation to convert stills to movies (NOT image sequences)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sanders
automation to convert stills to movies (NOT image sequences)
on May 5, 2011 at 10:18:45 pm

I need to convert a large number of individual images to movies. These are NOT image sequences.

For example: I need to convert an individual TIFF file into a 2 second DV quicktime movie. Then I'll receive another TIFF file, which needs to become another 2 sec QT movie. Ultimately, I'll receive batches of hundreds of such images and I need to be able to convert each TIFF image to be a separate 2 sec QT movie.

I can manually do this by importing the TIFF into AE, placing it into a 2 second comp and exporting.

Is there a way to automate this process to handle thousands of individual conversions? Or is there a better tool someone can suggest to do this efficiently?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSoto
Re: automation to convert stills to movies (NOT image sequences)
on May 5, 2011 at 10:29:08 pm

I'd use an editing application for this where you can specify the length of the clip on import and then do a batch export

http://runawaykitee.blogspot.com/

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 6, 2011 at 2:40:03 pm

Exactly what are you DOING to these stills? Just a straight still to movie conversion, nothing else required? If so, follow Malcom's advice.

If there's more to it, fess up...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Sanders
on May 6, 2011 at 4:39:54 pm

Hi Dave,

Malcolm's answer is brilliant, I think. I'll experiment with it today.

To answer your question, I'm cutting an animated feature and the first phase is to edit what's called a 'storyboard movie' (basically thousands of drawings provided to me as TIFF scans). I used to simply import the TIFFs directly as stills into FCP, but FCP rapidly bogs down when you get to thousands of stills in a sequence. So I had the idea to convert the stills to quicktime media before I import. For the low-res period of the project, DV seems like the way to go because I get the best system performance.

So, for Malcolm's workflow, I'll set the stills duration at 2 seconds, import a batch of stills, then export the resulting movies and poof, I should have 2 second media for each panel, which I'll re-import and be good to go... one hopes.

Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 6, 2011 at 5:10:33 pm

If you already know that FCP's going to choke on your stills, here's Plan B for doing it in After Effects:

If the file names include a number, e.g. "00738_Storyboard", you can import an image sequence. Use the Interpret Footage settings to make them 2 seconds long. If you're working at 23.976 (aka 23.98), set the comp frame rate at 23.976, and interpret the footage as 1/47.952; 47.952 is 23.976*2. When you put the footage into the comp, each frame should be 2 seconds long.

I THINK that interpret footage frame rate trick will work; never tried it.

--OR--

Make a 23.976 comp. Add each still to the comp in order, last one at the bottom, first one at the top. Select all of them, and trim them to 2-seconds long. While highlighted, use the Sequence Layers keyframe assistant:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

In either case, you'll probably need to adjust the duration of the comp; that's pretty easy. Keep in mind that the maximum length of an AE comp is 2 Hours.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Sanders
on May 6, 2011 at 5:18:09 pm

That would be good if the final stage was this stringout of stills, but this is only the beginning; my job really begins with editing those stills to create a reference movie for animation. So, I need each panel as a discreet piece of media. I think Malcolm's solution still comes out ahead.

But thanks for the ideas; I might find a way to put your workflow to work elsewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]