ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Too much footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor GentToo much footage
by on May 5, 2011 at 6:35:09 pm

Hi Cow,

We have a project on the go that involves large (around 4000*3000 pixels) PSD's imported as compositions.
On average we have around 200 or so footage items.
It looks like After Effects is having a really tough time the amount and size of the footage because it is killing our ram.

We are not using all the footage and in some cases we only need a few layers from a given psd comp so we have tried "remove unnused footage" which only seems to delete very few items although there are a lot more not being used anywhere in our comps.

Is there a way to automate the removal of unused layers from an imported photoshop comp?

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Too much footage
by on May 5, 2011 at 6:46:07 pm

i've seen problems before with large psd files with lots of layers, despite importing only single layers from the files... it would seem that ae is actually having to laod the entire psd to get just a few layers.

what i did to overcome the issue was to use the photoshop script 'layers to files' (from file>scripts) and import the files. then when i had a comp that used only a few layers from the file, it went a lot more smoothly.

as for footage items (mov's and what not), i've only seen problems if you have many footage layers in a comp (even if most were hidden), but not if you have many footage items in a project but a just a few in the comp...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Too much footage
by on May 5, 2011 at 7:15:05 pm

I'd duplicate the comp created when you imported the photoshop document, leaving it pristine. Then I'd open the new comp, rename it and delete all unwanted layers.

If I wanted to use a different assortment of layers from the original comp, I'd repeat the process.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Trevor GentRe: Too much footage
by on May 12, 2011 at 7:57:35 am

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply.

We painted ourselves too far into a corner to be able to use the methods you suggested but will reap the benifets when starting new projects.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved