ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 Export Render for an HD LED TV

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Inna TrinidadAfter Effects CS5 Export Render for an HD LED TV
by on May 5, 2011 at 3:55:46 pm

Hello everyone!

Although I have searched over and beyond and tried every suggestion or at least 97% of them I am still having trouble getting a great Play Back quality once DVD is created and plaid on a HD LED 54" TV Monitor via DVD Player.

Project consists of some video, very minimal text and vector animations. I am stumped at this point. When playing on TV the lower bar that you see on the image attached looks very jagged and rigid more so then on screen shot which has been taken from mac screen. I have tried Sorenson Squeeze and feel like I am missing something or something isn't turned on. Perhaps something with Pulldown menus, or interlacing??? Any help would greatly be appreciated.... important project for client as usual.

Comp Setting : 872 x 486 Square Pixel NTSC D1 Widescreen
MY AE Render Settings:
  • Animation
  • Field Render: Upper First
  • 3:2 Pulldown - OFF
  • FR: 29.97

PS it looks crisp on the image but looks terrible on tv and not so great via computer monitor either....
Hope I am providing enough information and really hope to resolve this issue asap.

Thank you all.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects CS5 Export Render for an HD LED TV
by on May 5, 2011 at 5:27:08 pm

Since you have a LED HD tv and you are playing a standard definition (SD) DVD your playback is at a lower resolution. So the pixelation you see comes from enlarging a smaller image. See if the DVD player is able to upscale the signal. Ideally you should work at HD resolution and use a BlueRay or HDD player that can output HD - 1080p.
On the HD tvs, there's really no need for interlacing. Progressive looks better on a LED/LCD/Plasma.
That being said, usually a Fast Blur on any sharp graphic/text, anywhere from .3 to .7 should help

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects CS5 Export Render for an HD LED TV
by on May 5, 2011 at 5:29:55 pm

since the image looks good, and i assume that the image was a screen grab of the comp viewer in ae, then i'm temped to say that the problem occurs at compression to mpeg-2 for dvd creation.

you said that you rendered to lossless animation... how does that file look if you bring it back into ae?

if it looks as good as the comp viewer, then the problem is with the dvd creation, and probably the compression step.

since the media for dvd will need to be 720x480 (the software is conforming your media to fit that), let ae do the scaling. if you last animation render is good, just drop that into a comp with the dv widescreen preset (set frame rate and duration to your rendered footage), and render that out.

then try compressing that for dvd.

if you still have problems, then the colors are probably to hot for broadcast. and you'll want to correct those colors. here are a couple tutorials for that:

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved