ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating a custom color cycle in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Francie Leo
Animating a custom color cycle in AE
on May 5, 2011 at 3:34:04 pm

Hi

In a project I'm working on, I need to animate an arrow (representing air), which goes through a channel, starting out cold (cyan blue) and ending up hot (orange red).

If I simply animate the two end colors, it goes through green, then gray, then purple, in between. I want it to cycle straight from cyan, to yellow, to orange red. Any thoughts on how I can do this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Animating a custom color cycle in AE
on May 5, 2011 at 4:40:37 pm

a straight forward way would be to use 4 different colored solids that dissolve one over the other.

you could do a similar effect with 4 instances of the solid composite effect (each set with one of the 4 colors). you stagger the keyframing the 'source opacity' property so that each went from 0 to 100 in a top-to-bottom sequence. actually, if your arrow starts at blue, then you'd probably only need 3 instances...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 5, 2011 at 5:08:14 pm

ooops, i added a color in there... i got it in my head that you were going from blue to cyan, etc... so you'd just need 2 other colors...

sorry for any confusion

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

John Francie Leo
on May 5, 2011 at 7:49:18 pm

Thanks so much!

That worked a treat.

John

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 5, 2011 at 4:45:53 pm

You can use Change Color, but the cycle has to go through green as well, since you have to mix at one point cyan with yellow. So the cycle is cyan, to green, to yellow to red.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 5, 2011 at 5:21:36 pm

Just had another idea- you can use layers of different color like Kevin suggested but transition with a wipe in between, from the tip of the arrow to the end. This way you may still get a bit of mix ot the transition edge but if you do not feather it too much that should be acceptable.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]