ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 & CS5.5 terrible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross McDowell
CS5 & CS5.5 terrible?
on May 5, 2011 at 4:45:38 am

Hello,

Is it just me or are the latest two releases of After Effects terrible? I find myself going back to CS4 just to get things done...

I have a new macbook pro bought it 2 weeks ago...spec'ed out with the exception of a SSD. 8Gb RAM etc...

If I RAM preview anything, it doesnt playback...it generates the frames super fast but there is no way to get it to play back. everytime i click ram preview...nothing happens.

Also I find the longer I use AE the most clogged up and terrible it becomes. I will often find a simple render saying it will take 3 hours...so I restart my machine...open the same comp and render it in 2-3minutes.

I have no idea what is going on, I havent messed around with any memory settings or done anything at all. CS4 worked perfectly out of the box and I never had to change any settings. CS5 and CS5.5 which I thought might fix a lot of these problems...but didn't.

So frustrating. I don't know if it's the machine or AE. But I know of quite a few people having the same issues...

Ross McDowell
Animation Student

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: CS5 & CS5.5 terrible?
on May 5, 2011 at 7:06:56 am

No- CS5 is not terrible and it is not worse than CS4. I've been using CS5 since it came out on 2 different machines (one mac one pc) with no problems. All you need to do is do a bit of reading and set your software preferences as recommended for your system specs.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS9F936D13-E76A-41e4-BF8F...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 5, 2011 at 11:54:31 am

I haven't had any issues with CS5 (on several Macs, both workstations and notebooks) -- I've actually found it to be a huge improvement over CS3 and CS4.

You've mentioned CS5.5, so presumably you have kept up with the AE updates. Other common gotchas include OpenGL rendering (turn it off) and overly ambitions multiprocessing settings (see the Adobe FAQ on optimum memory settings [link]).

When all else fails, restore the default preferences [link] by holding Command-Option-Shift while the application is starting.

Mac utilities that clear the system caches (like Onyx or AppleJack) can also be helpful when troubleshooting problems like this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 6, 2011 at 3:21:36 pm

I agree with both Ted and Walter.

The big difference between cs4 and cs5 is 64bit, so cs5 can really grab a lot of ram - more ram than you can fit in a system.

My bet is that your not leaving enough ram for other apps. I'd recommend have multiprocessing off and leave around 4gb for other apps for starters, but read the links that Walter provided...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ross McDowell
on May 7, 2011 at 1:54:57 am

To be honest. When I click RAM preview and it doesn't play...I would say that is a problem.
The two buggiest releases of AE ever.
Sticking with CS4...no worries.

Ross McDowell
Animation Student

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 7, 2011 at 3:08:15 am

[Ross McDowell] "To be honest. When I click RAM preview and it doesn't play...I would say that is a problem.
The two buggiest releases of AE ever.
Sticking with CS4...no worries."

I'm don't mean to suggest that you're not experiencing a really serious problem -- clearly you are, and I can't imagine trying to work without RAM preview. In general, though, CS5 works really well, and I can't wouldn't want to go back to an earlier version.

There must be some sort of configuration error or another problem with your computer, because your experience is pretty atypical.

You might get some helpful responses if you started a new thread with a subject like "RAM preview doesn't play" and gave some more information about your projects, system, and symptoms. 64-bit memory addressing is worth the effort.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ross McDowell
on May 7, 2011 at 3:13:53 am

The RAM preview is just one of the problems. To be honest I know of at least three to four other people that have just bought the new macbooks and are having the same issues. And two others that have an older macbook and having the same issues.

RAM Preview doesn't work.
Computer becomes unusable.
Renders take 3 to 4 hours but after restart take 2 minutes.
Audio scrubbing doesnt always work.

Apart from that yes...its great.

Its OK I am just not going to bother upgrading...not now anyway. CS4 is honestly fine and is doing what I need it to do.

Ross McDowell
Animation Student

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 9, 2011 at 3:11:01 pm

ross, are you trying to fix your problem...? because we're trying to help you.

part of the problem is most likely an issue with ae grabbing too much ram and not leaving enough for the operating system to function efficiently, and that's why a reboot may fix some issues in the short term. restarting ae by itself may help, as might choosing edit>purge>all to try and clear ae's ram cache and free up memory for the os. but you'd like to try and fix this in the memory preference by allowing more ram for other apps.

as for zero on the numbers pad not doing a ram preview, that could be that the keyboard shortcut got messed up. try clicking the ram preview button from the preview panel (window>preview) to see if it will do a ram preview. if it does, then you might try reseting the keyboard shortcuts. you can reset those by holding the modifier keys that walter mentioned to reset the preferences and then hold 'option' while clicking ok.

your fine to keep using cs4, but adobe isn't going to go back to 32-bit... and plugin developers will probably stop developing 32-bit plugins for ae at some point in the near future. also, unless you freelance your whole career you'll probably work someplace where they'll have cs5 or higher, so you'll want to know how to get it to work well.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ross McDowell
on May 9, 2011 at 3:17:02 pm

its not that pressing 0 on the num pad isnt working. no matter what method I use to RAM preview..it generates the frames...but then wont play. It happens periodically...maybe 5 or 6 times a day. Closing AE and opening it again, doesnt fix the problem. Restarting does.
Also I have left more RAM for other apps and it seemed to be working better. I left 4Gb for AE and 4Gb for everything else...
But regardless the fact that audio scrubbing stops working and RAM preview also, as well as a number of other glitches. I think CS4 is the way to go for now until they fix these problems...
I'll wait for CS6...
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...

Ross McDowell
Animation Student

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 10, 2011 at 5:42:08 pm

I've been using CS5 on various machines and it works much faster than CS4 for me and I love it. I agree with the previous posters that if you want help to get it to work, you can get it.
Thousands of people are using it every day without the problems you mention.
From your description, it sounds like it's an issue specific to your kind of machine. Perhaps further tweaking with your settings will help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

clint corden
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:28:16 am

Hi,

I think i'm having the same problems as you, Ross.
I've just upgraded to AE 5.5 and am finding it frustrating slow.
(quad core intel xeon 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, 10.6.7)

ram previews often just don't work.
the system locks up completely during renders, so much so that AE seems to stall - making render times ridiculous.
Moving the payback head around results in the viewer going black so no scrubbing - annoying.
purging seems to do nothing i need to quit the app every so often just to get stuff to work.

feel like a major step backwards. again.

i fixed the problem with audio not always working or just slowing things down by randomly changing the audio hardware settings...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]