ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting rid of duplicate files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Dibblee
Getting rid of duplicate files
on May 4, 2011 at 11:29:12 pm

Hi,

I have just finished working on a project where I created 20 different videos that all contain similar files, but the projects themselves are different. Each video was created from a template and are all in separate folders.

I'm trying to reduce the size of these files for archival purposes. My problem is that the folders for each videos contain similar files, for example each video references the same 50mb .mov file, therefore I currently have 20 copies of that particular video... which adds up to almost 1gb.

I have tried to import each after effects project into one project and consolidate, reduce, collect the files, but since the projects contain this .mov file within their own project folder it is not deleting the duplicates.

I hope I've explained this enough. If anyone has any advice on how this can be done efficiently (i.e, not going into every single comp and relinking the footage to one .mov) I would greatly appreciate it. This project is taking up a good chunk of space.

Thanks!

Michael

Return to posts index

scott novasic
Re: Getting rid of duplicate files
on May 5, 2011 at 8:00:22 am

AE has some settings to remove unused footage and some other options. I paired down a huge file recently and used those tools and it took me a bit to get it right, but I was able to remove the redundant files...

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
http://supernovavfx.com

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on May 5, 2011 at 11:21:00 am

You seem to not want to do this, but what makes most sense is to move that 50Mb file and all other common files into one common folder, delete the copies of them and reconnect the media in the AE projects so that only one copy of each file that is used in multiple projects exists on your hard drive. If you don't already have a backup of your entire hard drive, keep two copies of the common files, but 20 copies is definitely not necessary ... especially if there all on the same hard drive, that's just wasted space.

Return to posts index

Michael Dibblee
on May 5, 2011 at 4:48:35 pm

I think that this is probably going to be the easiest way. once I relink on file AE finds the other 19 files. I'll have to spend some time working on it as I have a few projects that are similar to this, but it'll be worth it for archival purposes.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

kevin Ganoy
on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:04:04 am

Removing duplicate files would always be stressful specially if you unconsciously made backups for your backup. (Tough luck with this). I found out about this software - Duplicate Files Deleter, and the good thing about it is that it took care of all my duplicates (photos, mp3 etc) and removed them from my system. Now I don't have to be stressful about deleting!

Return to posts index

joshua robers
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:26:26 pm

I've recently found a software "Duplicate Files Deleter", and it can help you with this. Check http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com , download it and you can find and delete duplicate files safely. There is a video to explain the process. Pretty nice solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]