ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Looking to animate a pointer (link included)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lar ByrneLooking to animate a pointer (link included)
by on May 4, 2011 at 9:53:24 pm

Hi all,
First time poster. Any help appreciated.

So I'm looking to make a video something along the lines of this.. .. and I'm having trouble animating the mouse pointer as good as Dave did in his video.

I've tried using the motion sketch tool and also keyframing my position and rotation but its not coming out very smooth.

The other question I have is how would I get the window to put in my video where the pointer selects 'cut'. Would I just use a screen capture of a real window while using vista??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(other sample videos)

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: Looking to animate a pointer (link included)
by on May 5, 2011 at 4:09:06 am

In my honest opinion, animating it just seems like a pain. I would have get a screen recording software. Im looking at this free one calling camstudio right now, but I don't really know if it's good or not. Any who I would record with a green background and you can just key it out.

That would give you much better mouse animation and the fraction of the time trying to animate it. if you want you can actually turn your whole desktop green.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Looking to animate a pointer (link included)
by on May 5, 2011 at 5:03:15 pm

actually, motion sketch is basically screen capturing, it's just recording as keyframe data.

you might try adding the 'smoother' (window>smoother) to try and smooth the keyframe data out some. smoother is destructive (meaning it actually modifies the keyframe data), so you might want to make a copy of the motion sketch layer prior to using smoother on it.

there is also an expression (if you like expressions). the nice thing about the expression is that it isn't destructive, and since it won't change the actual values of the keyframes, you can tweak and tweak until you get it right.

here it is:

smooth(.5, 30);

just paste that into the expression field for the keyframed property that you want to smooth.

the first value is the time sample that you want it to look at in seconds. '.5' is half a second. the second value is the number of samples to generate for the time sample... for starters you can try the frame rate of the comp and increase if the movement seems jerky as you adjust the first value.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved