ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating separate shapes on a single layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monica NolanAnimating separate shapes on a single layer
by on May 4, 2011 at 8:44:47 pm

Hi--looked around and didn't see this topic, but I'm hoping somebody can help.

I'm created six circles one shape layer. I animated them so each moves position and scales differently. Then I noticed that although I'm using linear key frames, some of the shapes are following curves, not straight lines between two points. It seems to happen at the beginning of the keyframing. The line between the first two position key frames is straight, and then when I add a third, it changes to a curve.

I created a new shape layer with just one shape and I got the same problem.

Has anyone had this problem? Also, is there a way to see the motion paths for each individual shape? I have motion path viewing on, but I can only see the path of a whole layer, not the individual shapes.

Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Animating separate shapes on a single layer
by on May 4, 2011 at 9:06:01 pm

for the interpolation issue, select your keyframes, then choose animation>keyframe interpolation (or right-click>keyframe interpolation) and set the 'spacial interpolation' to linear.

also, in ae's general preference, you can set the default spacial interpolation to linear if you want it to always default that way.

as for the motion paths, i don't think those apply to masks (or effect properties that have position controls)... they apply only to layers.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Monica NolanRe: Animating separate shapes on a single layer
by on May 4, 2011 at 10:24:58 pm

Thanks much, that was it. I was assuming the diamond shaped keyframes meant I was in linear land, but I was only there temporally and not spatially.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved