ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New iMac i7 for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Herwig
New iMac i7 for After Effects?
on May 4, 2011 at 6:53:56 pm

I was really hoping there would be a new Mac Pro rev around NAB, as we're looking to pick up a new AE machine, but no Pro manna fell from heaven. This week's release of the new iMac i7 has me wondering if they would make a decent AE machine. What do you think? Would a 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 iMac with 16GB of RAM and the 256GB solid-state + 1TB drive make a worthy machine? My thoughts are to use the solid state drive for OS/Apps and the 1TB drive for source footage and render output. Eventually, I'd add a Thunderbolt drive for I/O once they're more readily available.

Am I crazy or do I wait (even more) for a rev on the Mac Pro?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: New iMac i7 for After Effects?
on May 4, 2011 at 7:20:32 pm

16 gigs of memory isn't a whole lot anymore. What kind of AE work do you intend to do?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Herwig
on May 4, 2011 at 7:30:21 pm

I'd say most of our projects are of medium complexity. Primarily rendering out at 720p. Not delivering to broadcast, just web-based content.

I just can't believe how far behind the iMacs the Mac Pros are lagging. I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger on a Mac Pro when it's way overdue to be updated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2011 at 7:54:41 pm

If you don't expect blazing speed, you ought to be okay with the 16 gig iMac.
Personally, I'd go for the machine with more RAM because AE loves the stuff.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 4, 2011 at 8:43:23 pm

[Dan Herwig] "I just can't believe how far behind the iMacs the Mac Pros are lagging."

it might be an indication of where apple puts its priorities... consumer masses first, pros second. or it could be that's just the order of product line updates.

either way, i'd agree that a mac pro update is due within the year and it will likely have thunderbolt and dual 8-core cpus (that's 32 logical cores with hyper-threading) for the same price as a higher end mac pro now. not to mention that it will probably hold more ram.

personally, i'd try to hold out for a mac pro. as dave mentioned, more ram is only better with these adobe apps (and fcp x, now that it too is 64-bit). however the imac will still run after effects, and if you never use a 32-core, 96gb macpro, then you'll never know what you're missing, right?

one note on the ssd on an imac, the new imac only has a 3gb/s sata2 bus so you don't need a newer 6gb/s ssd -- just fyi.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 5, 2011 at 7:14:15 pm

[Kevin Camp] "one note on the ssd on an imac, the new imac only has a 3gb/s sata2 bus so you don't need a newer 6gb/s ssd -- just fyi."

update -- apple released a firmware update for the new imacs that enabled sata3 (6gbs) internal drive bus:

http://blog.macsales.com/10050-firmware-update-enables-6gbs-in-2011-imacs?A...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]