ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Paint transition effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate BroadhurstPaint transition effect
by on May 4, 2011 at 10:31:23 am

Can anyone help me? I really don't know anything about aftereffects at all but I'm trying to create transitions between animated sequences and would really like to use this sort of painting out effect... Does anyone know how it would be done?

As simple instructions as possible would be much appreciated as I'm a complete novice!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Paint transition effect
by on May 4, 2011 at 1:35:05 pm

Although the transitions look somewhat painterly, there's also a pixelated feel to them, making me guess that they were done frame by frame in maybe Photoshop. Many of the other images look Rotoscoped, and none of this is a job for a beginner, although, that said, there's no better place to start learning than at the bottom step.

I would suggest you Google rotoscoping, paint effects, and other such searches to find tutorials on the topic. I recently ran across a paint program called Artrage (80 dollars for the top end version), and with a tablet, it does some amazing natural media looks. Although it's not animatable (in the software), I could see it being used frame by frame to make some really nice natural media work. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Paint transition effect
by on May 4, 2011 at 2:38:12 pm

[Kate Broadhurst] "As simple instructions as possible would be much appreciated as I'm a complete novice!"

Here are the simplest instructions I can offer: don't try this if you're a novice. As Joe says, that is some very sophisticated work. There are no easy ways to do it. An individual would have to spend months devising a step-by-step technique for a novice.

As tempting as it is, jumping into the deep end of the pool with AE is not wise; right now you'd be jumping in, but wearing lead weights. It's best to begin at the beginning, because AE contains too many things that can confound someone new to it.

Here's an excellent starting point:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Paint transition effect
by on May 4, 2011 at 5:14:45 pm

As the gentlemen before me suggested, I would not advise starting to learn AE with a project as complicated as this one.
However, sometimes if you want to learn how to swim you may jump in the deep end- just make sure there's a life guard watching, so here's a few tips:
Toonit - a great plugin that can give a drawing/painting look and feel to a clip. For individual elements you need rotoscoping to isolate them or you need to shoot them on chroma.
Digital Juice has a wide assortment of presets, fx and footage that can be used for the transition:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kate BroadhurstRe: Paint transition effect
by on May 4, 2011 at 5:51:31 pm

Ok thank you. The rotoscoping/ actual animation part of it I'm fine with. I'm an animation student making an animated documentary and the film itself is split into different sequences that I want to flow into one another without cuts or breaks. All of the animation is done, I've used a combination of handdrawn animation and paint on glass so the animation itself is quite organic. I was looking for some way of creating transitions so that each sequence flowed into the next and I really liked this sort of effect, though it seems like it is much more complicated than it looks!
I fully agree with the not jumping in at the deep end advice. Definitely going to get cracking with some basic tutorials and teach myself things step by step.
The only thing is I need to find something suitable that will help me bring this film together... Are there any other ways of creating transitions that won't look too computerized and would be easier to get my head around? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Paint transition effect
by on May 4, 2011 at 6:05:34 pm

You could try morphing the drawings. Here's a way of doing that that I posted a while back- it was for a morph between images but the principles are the same:
Use Mesh Warp.
Set 2 layers in a AE comp- the "morph from" layer on top of the "morph to" layer.
Start on the layer you want to morph from- apply Mesh Warp and set keyframe. Move 8 to 15 frames (or as many as you need your morph to be) and change transparency to 50% so that you can see the layer under. Use the mesh warp to distort the features of the top layer to match those of the bottom layer ( eyes to match the eyes, mouth to mouth and so on..).
Apply Mesh Warp to bottom layer and set keyframe at the end of the transition. Go back to the beginning of the transition and use the Mesh Warp to distort the bottom layer to match the top one's features.
Set transparency keyframes to animate the top layers opacity from 100% to 0 for the length of the morph.
That's basically it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved