ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need Feedback

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt DaveNeed Feedback
by on May 3, 2011 at 11:27:41 pm

Hey all,

I browse this community a fair bit but never had anything I thought needed to be posted. I have started getting back into VFX again, a lot more advanced then I was before.

I really need feed back from experienced AE users. Tips on how I can make this following clip look better or if I did anything wrong so on so forth.

Thanks in advanced for any advice! :)

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: Need Feedback
by on May 4, 2011 at 4:26:59 am

cons: In some scene there are very low light. The worst thing about this video to me is the sound, it just totally ruin the whole video.The video was much better when I took off my headphone

pros: visually, this is stunning. maybe you could have added different gun burst for some variety but I didn't notice it much. I really like the blood splatter against the wall ( never mind the physic). However it disappear in the next scene and so there were some continuation error.

Can you please tell me what camera you shot with and how you do the color grading?

Return to posts index

Matt DaveRe: Need Feedback
by on May 4, 2011 at 4:45:33 am

Hey mate,

Thanks for the info. It was exactly what I wanted. I would agree with you, I don't enjoy the sound effects either. I can admit sound is my downfall at the moment. Got to read up and do some research on it and stuff.

Also, on my camera I turned the noise up to 6db to give it that grainy look to help add to the atmosphere. Then color corrected over it so it all blended nice and smooth, good or bad?

For your questions, I used my Canon XH A1s stock to shoot this (If you didn't read the description, it was only meant to be a 10sec clip that ended up to this).

For the color correction, on some of the shots (The darker ones) I just manually used color correction effects in After Effects. Killed the blacks, played around with the curves. All that sort of stuff.

For the lighter ones I use something called mojo magic bullet (It's an add on for adobe products like premiere and After Effects) Highly suggest taking a look at it. Not cheap though, well worth the money though.

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: Need Feedback
by on May 4, 2011 at 11:51:29 am

I never use a professional camera before...If I'm correct, it uses mini dv tape to store the recording, but how do you transfer it to the computer?

Also, wouldn't magic bullet looks or colorista would have been better than mojo

if you add grain to it, I didn't see it. The quality is really great though. I have to replay the door scene 3 times cause it looks so good.

Return to posts index

by on May 4, 2011 at 10:53:28 pm

I have never used looks. I can't get it working on my computer. I might give it another shot tonight to see how it goes. Pretty painful using mojo but it kinda suits the look we where going for. That green tint darkened kinda look.. Hard to explain. I can notice the grain but I guess it's because I know what footage from my camera looks like. It was only 6db but I can still notice it.

Yeah, it uses mini dv and the reason I went with mini dv was not because the hard drive based ones where hell'a dear, it's because tape doesn't interlace each frame. When you shoot a movie off hdd, while transferring to your computer it checks to see if it can use anything from the frame before making it not as smooth and you lose that 23.976fps (24p) look. I transfer it to my computer using a firewire connection and a small program I found for free. I'll get the name of the program when I get home. I don't know it off the top of my head.
HDV Recorder or something like that..

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Need Feedback
by on May 4, 2011 at 1:36:51 pm

I woul'd go a little easier with the mojo, blending it about 30% with the actual scene. I'm not a big fan of that indie look. And the muzzle flashes look a little too big, and like if they were screened over (no blending mode, perhaps?). Rest looks cool, congrats.

Return to posts index

by on May 4, 2011 at 10:57:31 pm

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Yeah I don't think we did set a blending mode. We imported the footage of the flash and it was of transparent background so I figure we didn't need to. Should I be setting a blending mode anyway?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved