ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working with 88+ layers at really high resolutions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Ayerbe
Working with 88+ layers at really high resolutions
on May 3, 2011 at 5:49:12 pm

Hi, first time posting here. I'm working on possibly the biggest project I've ever worked in. It consists of 88 layers of DV video (yes I know DV sigh), each a different shot, composed side by side in a "grid" like pattern--kinda like a chess board or something along those lines. I'm working in a ridiculously huge Comp of 6926x3896 because I don't want to lose resolution, however I'm also using quarter proxies.

The client wants every shot to change positions every now and then alongside some audio. Obviously, since the Comp is so huge and there's so much video going on, I can't playback realtime at all and everything takes forever to render.

As the project goes along I'm gonna need to adjust the position of each shot to moments in the audio, but obviously I can't playback realtime.

I'm wondering if there's a better way of doing this? I feel like there has to be since I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who's worked with 88+ layers of video in AFx before and it's not like I'm adding any effects...

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Working with 88+ layers at really high resolutions
on May 3, 2011 at 6:47:57 pm

[Nicolas Ayerbe] "I'm working in a ridiculously huge Comp of 6926x3896 because I don't want to lose resolution,"

Are you planning to render at this size, if not no reason to work at that scale. If you are, use Proxies then render out without the proxies.

Return to posts index

Nicolas Ayerbe
on May 3, 2011 at 7:03:24 pm

Nope I'm supposed to export at 1920x1080. Should I just create a new 1080 Comp and downscale all the footage?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2011 at 8:11:30 pm

[Nicolas Ayerbe] "Should I just create a new 1080 Comp and downscale all the footage?"

Yup. If you need to bring one of those video full-screen, you just animate the scale & position to do it, with no lost resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicolas Ayerbe
on May 4, 2011 at 6:57:10 pm

Thanks Dave, just one more question: if my footage is in DV to what codec should I downscale them to?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2011 at 7:17:04 pm

You don't have to do a THING to the footage. DV's OK in AE. When I write "scale", I mean the layer's scale property.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicolas Ayerbe
on May 4, 2011 at 7:28:41 pm

Got it! Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]