ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Auto Trace tracking with Hand?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keri RainockAuto Trace tracking with Hand?
by on May 3, 2011 at 5:31:08 pm

I am creating a very large and complex animation simulating a hand drawing with a marker on a white board. I've used auto trace on the artwork layer with sequential masks to create the look. I've then taken a green-screened hand and I've been animating the position of the hand over the auto trace. Looks great, and because it moves fast it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm wondering if I'm doing this the hard way? Anyway to attach my anchor point on the hand layer to the motion of the auto trace and just let it do it's thing?

Keri

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Auto Trace tracking with Hand?
by on May 3, 2011 at 5:37:21 pm

Parenting is your friend:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Keri RainockRe: Auto Trace tracking with Hand?
by on May 3, 2011 at 5:39:26 pm

As my auto trace position properties don't actually move, parenting doesn't get any motion on the hand.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Auto Trace tracking with Hand?
by on May 3, 2011 at 5:56:26 pm

Whoops! I'm confusing Auto Trace with Auto Sketch.

You've got a mask created with Auto Trace, right? Paste the Mask Path property into the hand's position property, creating a Motion Path. You'll have a 2-second-long position animation, which you easily can lengthen or shorten. Tweak the Anchor point as necessary to put the hand where it should be; you should only have to tweak it once.

If you have a bunch of masks, this trick still ought to work. It just gets a bit more complicated.

Oh, and make sure your comp's H&V resolution and pixel aspect ratio matches that of your auto trace layer. You can always nest the comp in another one of the proper size.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Keri RainockRe: Auto Trace tracking with Hand?
by on May 3, 2011 at 6:11:16 pm

There's a good idea, thing is, these artwork files are psd and create a massive amount of tiny masks. Which looks cool in drawing, but it's probably easier to fake the drawing there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]