ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Falling stack of papers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance HalladayFalling stack of papers
by on May 3, 2011 at 4:41:43 pm

I'm hoping somebody out there knows how I would be able to do this without going through frame by frame and layer by layer.

I am dropping a stack of papers into a scene. I don't want them to drop in as a whole stack, but as individual papers 2 or 3 frames apart from each other. Once they hit the ground, I would like them to bounce just a bit. Here's an image of the stack of papers:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e176/RockiesInOctober/papers.png

Each paper is a separate layer and when I applied a bounce expression to each of the layers, the problem was that the first paper would drop in and after it bounced, it would go through the second paper that would drop in, and so on.

Is there any way to apply a bounce expression that recognizes when that layer collides with another layer? Has anybody done anything like this? Same sort of effect as if dropping in a stack of coins or books or anything... Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Falling stack of papers
by on May 3, 2011 at 5:15:44 pm

I'd say you'd have to offset the position. If you wanted to automate it in the expression, you could possibly base it off of the layer's index.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Falling stack of papers
by on May 3, 2011 at 6:45:58 pm

[Lance Halladay] "expression that recognizes when that layer collides with another layer"

There is collision detection, but it is based on the layer's boundaries so that it will likely not work in your case since if your layers intersect they will disappear.

http://motionscript.com/design-guide/collision.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]